Used Saltwater tank for Fresh water fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coalcut

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking of purchasing a used 100 gallon tank that was previously a salt water reef tank. The tank will be empty and cleal when I purchase it. I'll be using it for fresh water with my own filters,etc. Is this a good idea? What should I look out for?

Thanks

It won't cause a problem, if it is drilled you can cap it off.

I'm thinking of purchasing a used 100 gallon tank that was previously a salt water reef tank. The tank will be empty and cleal when I purchase it. I'll be using it for fresh water with my own filters,etc. Is this a good idea? What should I look out for?

Thanks

That's going to be fine. Just look for the same stuff you would look for in any tank- inspect the seals carefully, look for chips or cracks, inspect the trim well (as this IS structural for many tanks), etc. If the tank is drilled for a sump, you can use that in FW too.

Sometimes you run across a tank that has old coralline algae on it, etc. This is pretty hard to remove with elbow grease alone, but it's easy if you get a paper towel, soak it in vinegar, and lay it on the affected area for 20 minutes or so. It'll soften right up and you can scrape it off.

sorry for the late response. Thanks for all your replies.

Back
Top Bottom