used tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i picked up a 10 gallon with some accessories off ebay last night, and have a question. the previous owner used it as a backup sw tank, so i want to know if there is anything special i should do to make it usable for fw. he said he cleaned everything with a bleach solution, and it all looks brand new. i plan on at least rinsing everthing really, really well, but have no problem re-cleaning if someone thinks i should. thanx

Just give everything a good rinse in triple dechlorinated water and then rinse it again. You should be fine.

you think at my next pwc i could just keep a few (or more) gallons and use that water? or should i use dechlorinated tap water?

I would just use tap you have an unlimited supply to rinse with, but I dont see why you couldn't use old tank water.

Just rinse the tank with a cup of Vinegar first. This could remove any diseases that reside in the minute silicone cracks. The rinse with regular tap water. Make it warm. Temperature extremes will cause catastrophic tank failure=BOOM. 8O

I'm with F18 Tech-- I always use a vinegar solution to kill anything that may still be left in the tank. After a thorough rinsing with water, you should be in great shape.

Back
Top Bottom