Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2006, 12:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

UV STERILIZER -- Always ON or NOT ??????????????

How long should I leave the UV light on-- all the time or intermittently ???????????????????

Old 07-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #2
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe it is on full time or put it on a timer to run 12 hours a day

6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
Unless you think you need it on all the time, I'd leave it off during the day and turn it on during the night.

They don't last all that long, and turning it on at night eliminates outside heat sources...plus it might make the tank look cool. heh
Old 07-03-2006, 03:55 AM   #4

Under no circumstances should a UV bulb be turned on outside the device it is designed to work in. The ultraviolet radiation emitted from the bulb is very dangerous and is designed to disrupt the dna sequences in bacteria and parasites thus shortening there life cycle significantly. That is kind of how it works. This in turn means that if you were to look at the uv light without eye protection the uv would seriously damage your corneas and could possibly make you go blind in worst case. Its the same thing that happens with a really bad sun burn and your skin starts to peel. It does not feel to good! And if exposed directly to the tank would have very serious effects on your livestock. Thats why no uv sterilizer is made with a clear casing.

As far as being on for 24 or 12 hours its up to you. I always ran mine 247, but you may find 12 works better.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com