VERY confused - lemon tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking up information on my various tetras, when I saw this page http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/579.htm
about a lemon tetra.

I bought four 'lemon tetras' from the lfs four months ago, but the fish I have look NOTHING like this picture. The fish I have are long and thin, bright yellow/orange with a black stripe down the sides. Are there more than one type of lemon tetra, or do I have something else? The people in this fish store may have made a mistake- they often don't seem to know what they are talking about (for example, when I asked for a female molly they said "We have a paper on how to sex livebearers but not mollies" (!)

I will try to post a picture, because I am really confused now.

A picture would really help! That profile is indeed of a lemon tetra....so not sure what kind you have. At first I thought maybe a glowlight tetra, but the black stripe is throwing me off. I bet if you put a picture on here someone will be able to ID your fish for ya. :)

I looked at my fish again. They definitely are not lemon tetras. The 'stripe' is really a horizontal line of black dots together, making it look, from a slight distance, like a stripe. They have the basic shape of a neon tetra, but are bigger. I will try to get my hands on a camera and take a picture.

i think maybe you got glowlight/glow-light tetras they are about same size as lemon(that ive seen anyways) with a birhgt orange strip from eyes to fin

Your description in the first post sounds alot like the picture that Severum Mama posted. A picture of your fish will definitely help though. :)

From looking at that picture and others, I think they are either the rasboras or emperor tetras. They look a little like a cross between both. They look like the rasboras, but they are more gold-yellow and the 'line' is actually a pattern of dots, not a true line. Body shape is the same. They have another dot at the tail. That is why I think they may be emperor tetras. I can't seem to tell. I will try to post a picture.

Two of the PetSmarts near me have yellow fish in the same tank with Lemon Tetras which definitely aren't Lemon Tetras. I think they're probably Buenos Aires Tetras, but they're the same color as the Lemons (they're all a little pale in the store, though).

They're more elongated than Lemons, and they have the stripe on the side, and they don't have the black edge on their fins.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/592.htm

Tostada, I think you nailed it. My fish look exactly like the one in the picture except more yellow. Maybe they are the gold variety? Also, they are peaceful toward the other fish in the tank, but always fighting among themselves and chasing eachother, like the page says. Also, I see them hanging around my java moss all the time though I have never actually observed them eating it. Maybe since that stuff grows so fast thier nibbling on it is negligible. I think that's it. I will still post a picture though.
Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom