Very foggy tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stellyboo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. Yesterday I did a full clean of my 10gal tank with just hot water and vinegar and let the water set a few mins before putting it back in. My mom put the betta tap water conditioner but it’s super foggy still. It’s the same with one of my other tanks. Even clear fast doesn’t really work. :( does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Wait, did you completely clean the entire tank out? Like scrub everything? Were fish in there? It sounds like you crashed your tank

Wait, did you completely clean the entire tank out? Like scrub everything? Were fish in there? It sounds like you crashed your tank

No, the fish were not in there at all. We did a full tank cleaning before and the water was perfect but this time it’s just really foggy. :( We don’t use any soaps or anything.

Usually you don't want take all the water out during a cleaning, like 50% is usually max unless something drastic is going on. Did you change or do anything with the filter media?

Usually you don't want take all the water out during a cleaning, like 50% is usually max unless something drastic is going on. Did you change or do anything with the filter media?

We change the filter too. The pet store told us that hot water is okay to clean to rocks and stuff and clean the glass or whatever so we did.

test the water! what's everything reading? Do you still have the old filter? What ever you do don't put your fish in yet.

test the water! what's everything reading? Do you still have the old filter? What ever you do don't put your fish in yet.

Oh... I didn’t test the water perimeters cause usually it’s really good and my fish are already in cause my mom was helping and stuff and she just put them in. One of them seems to be normal like always but my other one is still acting weird. The whole reason why I decided to clean out the tank completely without chemicals is to see if my betta ocean would stop being at the bottom. He’s my moms fish and is always happy around her but ever since yesterday he hasn’t been himself and I can’t put him anywhere else in my house except maybe a container. :(

Do you have the old filter or cartridge? If you washed everything in hot water and changed the filter( filter pad or filter system? Not sure what you mean) you might of crashed your cycled tank. Kinda need a little more info.

Do you have the old filter or cartridge? If you washed everything in hot water and changed the filter( filter pad or filter system? Not sure what you mean) you might of crashed your cycled tank. Kinda need a little more info.

Cleaned the cartridge and filter itself

You made a big mistake. Its like your tank is new now. Don't put any fish in it now. It will re cycle now.

Cleaned the cartridge and filter itself
Never clean the filter!!!!!!! This is most important. You cleaned everything in hot water??? I'd go back to that store and tell that person you talked to that he/she needs to give you some kinda bb from their tank. You should test that water see if you have any nitrate. I doubt it. Hot water will kill all your good bacteria. Always clean your cartridge with your old tank water in a bowl. And as for the betta on the bottom a lot, could be that it's stressed for other fish.

Never clean the filter!!!!!!! This is most important. You cleaned everything in hot water??? I'd go back to that store and tell that person you talked to that he/she needs to give you some kinda bb from their tank. You should test that water see if you have any nitrate. I doubt it. Hot water will kill all your good bacteria. Always clean your cartridge with your old tank water in a bowl. And as for the betta on the bottom a lot, could be that it's stressed for other fish.

I took them both out immediately and I’m gonna see if my tank will clear up. I’ll test the water first thing tomorrow since it’s late here but thanks for telling me. I feel kinda like a stupid head.

I took them both out immediately and I’m gonna see if my tank will clear up. I’ll test the water first thing tomorrow since it’s late here but thanks for telling me. I feel kinda like a stupid head.
Its ok we all learn. I remember my first tank. Cycling was not something anyone told me. I bought tank and put some fish and they all died one by one. Then after some time they settled. Internet was not available. So even now when its modern days I started a tank few years ago and bought tank and fish together. Bought some expensive parrot fish. I set uo tank. Put fish and in a week alo died. I then looked on Internet and found out what Amonia cycle is. So don't feel bad or stupid. We all learn with time. Keep us posted your water parameters

Its ok we all learn. I remember my first tank. Cycling was not something anyone told me. I bought tank and put some fish and they all died one by one. Then after some time they settled. Internet was not available. So even now when its modern days I started a tank few years ago and bought tank and fish together. Bought some expensive parrot fish. I set uo tank. Put fish and in a week alo died. I then looked on Internet and found out what Amonia cycle is. So don't feel bad or stupid. We all learn with time. Keep us posted your water parameters

Okay. :) I will check them later today.

Unless you have another tank that isn't crashed to put them in, you'll have to do a fish in cycling. It's more work, but better than nothing. Should be pretty easy to Google.

My water parameters are: ph: 5.5 ammonia: 0 and for nitrates/nitrites the tube was clear, not pink at all so is 0 good for that too?

My water parameters are: ph: 5.5 ammonia: 0 and for nitrates/nitrites the tube was clear, not pink at all so is 0 good for that too?
No, Nitrate should be .05-.30/.40 looks like your gonna be cycling tanks. That's lots of testing and lots of water changes. Your ph is really low. Not understanding that. What test are you using? Stripes?

No, Nitrate should be .05-.30/.40 looks like your gonna be cycling tanks. That's lots of testing and lots of water changes. Your ph is really low. Not understanding that. What test are you using? Stripes?

The master kit.

Ok. You gotta read up on fish in cycle. The ammonia (waste from Fish And food will cycle the tank) but the ammonia level can not got over .50 idea is to keep that level at .25 in order to not kill your fish from ammonia poison. The ammonia will convert to your nitrite( note: nitrite can not get too high either, it is also toxic to fish if it is too high. You never want it dark purple) nitrite will convert to your nitrate. When you get your nitrate reading, the cycle will be complete only when the nitrite and ammonia levels are at zero. But, when you get nitrate and your nitrite is at zero and if you still have ammonia just do a water change to zero that out. No big water changes 50-60% at all times you'll stress your fish out. If you have to do 2 Or 4 water changes back to back , it's better than doing a massive water change at once. I'm worried about your ph level too. Has it always been that low? Could be why your betta is always on the bottom. Test your tap water on ph. What deco do you have in the tank? Rocks, driftwood??? Cycling a tank is work. Specially with fish. Test in morning, test at night. Never miss your water changes, never over feed. Vacuum the bottom for waste build up. Always be careful to not stress fish out. Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask no matter what it is. Everyone on here is happy to help. If you can get good bacteria from anywhere it would help a lot. An old filter cartridge, media, gravel, anything from a cycled tank. So if you know somebody with a tank ask them for some.

Back
Top Bottom