Very Small Fish Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HollieDahhrlinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
You will have seen my posts about my 15l tank,
I need some more small fish.
I have my sucking loach and my paradise fish -
They are so funny together hahaa!
I thought he was living up to his name and sucking her scales but he chases her and then sits on top of her for a ride around hahaa.
They he will be sucking the tank and she will swim into him and then over him and they will chase all day hahaa!

Yeah anyway - i need some pretty, pref colourful fishies to add to my coldwater / roomwater 15L or 4GL tank.
Please could someone help me?

My 2 platys had whitespot but they as a result of other medical implications had to be sent to the big pond in the sky.
I saw a spot on my paradise yet for just over 8 days its been gone completely. I didnt therefore remove the carbon in my filter and just kept adding the king british for around 3 days on and off just to see if there was any change, and nothing changed, i also starved the fish for 1 day and then fed and then starved for 1 day, i did this for 4 days.
So...
Please any advice would help?
Thanks x

I wonder what you mean by sucking loach. I am thinking you might have a chinese algae eater and it is actually sucking the slime coat off your paradise fish.

If I understand correctly and this is a 4 gallon tank, I would not recommend adding anything. The platies most likely died from water conditions created by being in such a small volume of water. The "sucking loach" regardless of actual ID (pleco, CAE, etc) should be rehomed. They will outgrow and overwhelm a tank of that size in a hurry.

Hey,
Yes i think that is what the Sucking Loach is doing i believe,
So i am adding slime coat to every water change which is every week.
I have asked a LPS to take the loach if it gets any bigger,
Its still of an okay size at the minute.

I dont want to get rid of my loach because i might get algae,
He is keeping my tank rocks, acrylic and the media all nice and clean.
Makes an easier job for me hahaa,
I looked at otto's which i prefered but they are tropical! :(

My platy's didnt die as a result of my water,
1 died of stress from pregnancy
And 2 other dies of white spot / medical matters, not my water.
My water is crystal clear and my tank is always cleaned to a nice standard.
My paradise is lively and swims around nicely.
Any idea for fishies though please?
Paradise and loach.

You probably dont have enough algae yet, which is why your loach is sucking your other inhabitants precious slime coat off...

If I understand correctly and this is a 4 gallon tank, I would not recommend adding anything. The platies most likely died from water conditions created by being in such a small volume of water. The "sucking loach" regardless of actual ID (pleco, CAE, etc) should be rehomed. They will outgrow and overwhelm a tank of that size in a hurry.
this is the best answer you are going to get right here. ive mentioned this before as well. your tank is just plain and simple way too small, especially for the fish you are trying to get

Hey,

Paradise and loach.

Hollie- I'm not saying what I'm saying to frustrate you. Quite the opposite actually. Taking care of problems early and learning what's going on will save you a lot of headaches. Are you testing your water for ammonia & nitrite? Those substances are deadly to fish and will not discolor, cloud, or otherwise be visible in the water. Poor water conditions will cause stress in fish which will lead to susceptibility to "white spot" (Ich). Healthy fish can fight off the parasite.

You will find here that a good rule is when it comes to tanks bigger is better. Your fish will be happier in the largest tank that you can afford/fit. if the 15L is it, then you really don't want to have a lot of fish.

you have been adding all sorts of "stuff" to the tank and have had fish dying, and the question you ask is "what colorful fish can I get?" That would be why you "can't win."

Don't get frustrated. We all want to help you and sometimes the short answer sounds short. What is basically being said is that more fish = waste. In your size tank, there is no efficient way to remove waste fast enough. So fewer fish will result in less waste. Then your water changes can be more beneficial to where you wont have to add anything to water. Test your water parameters and see what is going on.

You could get rid of the loach and get some snails! I have snails in my tanks and they are good cleaners and they keep the gas pockets out of my substrate.

I wonder what you mean by sucking loach. I am thinking you might have a chinese algae eater and it is actually sucking the slime coat off your paradise fish.

Yes they are Chinese algae eaters. Labeled as sucking loaches in the UK. Like we haven't got "yoyo" loaches here. I confused many a shop keepers when I was after mine, till one very well informed chap told me they are Pakistani loaches, then I realised everywhere had them lol

Hey,

Paradise and loach.

White spot can be and is most likely caused by poor water conditions(the fish become susceptible to it not actualy create it). You might not have ammonia and nitrite, it may look clear but it can still be dirty. A 4 gallon tank k you have? I feel guilty putting fry in mine! BTW I have more ammonia spikes in my fry tank than a well stocked 4ft tank. Simply put there isn't enough water to dilute crap.

I would seriously think of an upgrade. try gumtree.com (find you local area) I picked up my 4ft and 5g tank with heater and filters hood light and gravel for 50 quid. There are loads of 2/3ft tanks on there in birmingham I think it shud be the same for where you are

P.s the sucking loaches get to 12 inches long easily. I had a few myself

Back
Top Bottom