wahoo leapord puffers!!! (help maybe?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
So the fish store finally brought in some healthy leapord puffers, I am so excited! However, I did all my research on SA puffers (these aren't the same thing are they?) and I don't want to get my info all mixed up.

They are mainly FW right? Because I need to keep them with my pleco for the time being.

They get up to be about 4in.. so I was going to put two in my 29 gal- does this seem okay?

and i lost all the links I had bookmarked that you wonderful people have given me before.. so if someone could show me the way again I would appreciate it =o)

wahoo! puffers!

lyquidphyre said:
So the fish store finally brought in some healthy leapord puffers, I am so excited! However, I did all my research on SA puffers (these aren't the same thing are they?) and I don't want to get my info all mixed up.

They are mainly FW right? Because I need to keep them with my pleco for the time being.

They get up to be about 4in.. so I was going to put two in my 29 gal- does this seem okay?

and i lost all the links I had bookmarked that you wonderful people have given me before.. so if someone could show me the way again I would appreciate it =o)

wahoo! puffers!

It's actually called the Green spotted puffer and it's high end BW to full on SW. It's need about 30 gallons of water to itself with a SW setup. It will not live long in full SW.

here's an unbelieveably good article on them by pufferpunk.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BrackishSubWebIndex/gspsart.htm

SA puffers are strictly FW, and are NOT compatible with GSPs. GSPs are in actuality SW puffers that venture in BW esutuaries to breed.

The thing I looked up said they were Freshwater.. and the fish store guy knew I wanted FW water puffers... so maybe Im thinking of a different puffer?

I don't have any pictures yet because I havn't purchased them. I want my tank to be ready and I want to know as much as I can before I head over to the fish store

ill check out that link, thanks =o)

I was looking at those articles and now im all sorts of confused.

I know most puffers (if they aren't salt water), are BW.. thats why I told the fish guy I wanted a FW because I have a pleco that needs to stay in my 29gal for the time being. So you would think the puffers he had would be FW (since thats what I requested)?

I can't get ahold of the fish guy at the moment.. once I get more info I'll pass it along here..

bleh

I got ahold of him and he said they "can be BW if you put them in BW but they are in FW right now"

ugh

I *know* that isn't right.

I just wanted to have FW so I could keep my pleco in there for the time being. I could move him into my boyfriends 29.. but its kinda full right now. (1 angel, 2 kissing gouramis and a blue gourami... I don't think it needs a 7in pleco)

You need to find out the exact name of the puffer. Never take an LFS at their word, lots of them are clueless.

Kim

The best puffer to keep in FW w/your pleco would be the South American puffers. The article you were linked to about the green spotted puffers is factual. I think what the LFS gy meant was they are to be kept in BW (& better in SW as adults), but they are keeping them in FW now (probably dosn't have any BW tanks there).

Yeah, this is a common problem in LFSs. I've often found that they keep GSPs in FW for lack of better resources (brackish tanks) or knowledge. One of my local stores says that they can be kept at high pHs when young.

It's all phooey. They really are BW->SW :?

Sorry!

See, pufferpunk.. thats why I asked for South American puffers! So he gets in some other puffers that I can't keep with my pleco.. unless some magical carpenter dwarf sneeks in my house and builds me a stand for my 75gal, I can't move my pleco.

I posted this yesterday, but somehow it was deleted :x

Leopard puffers are actually the Green spotted puffer .
GSPs are NOT FW, they're high end BW to full on SW and cannot survive being in FW long term. They also can't have alot of tankmates and definately aren't suitable for any community.

SA puffers are strictly FW and are one of the easier species of puffers to keep. However , they're beaks grow fast and you will eventually need to do puffer dentistry on one. They're also very susceptible to ick.

Pufferpunk wrote a great article on the Green spotted puffers, it can be found here.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BrackishSubWebIndex/gspsart.htm

Back
Top Bottom