Wanted Rasbora Brigittae, got other rasbora? Stocking options from here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank-o-Fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there!

For a long time I wanted to add some nice red rasboras to my 15 gallon tank. Because my LFS doesn't have them, I decided to order Boraras Maculatus from the internet. I should've done a bit more research, turned out the kind I got weren't red; at all.. They're the bigger fish on the photo's. Sorry for the quality by the way, only got my cellphone and those fish don't ever stop moving :D.

So I've done my research and came across the one I wanted: the Rasbora Brigittae. My LFS didn't have those either and unfortunately I had to order them online again. Apart from being the worst webshop ever and after weeks of delay I only got half of the fish (only found out all the complaints about them after I ordered, dang it), I also suspect I got the wrong fish. I've let them acclimatize for 2 days now and they still don't look quite as red. Could it be I got Rasbora Merah?

Assuming they aren't Brigittae; what are my stocking options from here? I'm not sure what to do now with these new fish added. Apart from the 12 new boraras I've got

- 4 Norman's Lampeyes
- 5 Borara Maculatus
- 3 Kuhlii Loach.

I know that's not enough of each, I had an inexplainable death wave some month ago. I'm planning to add more Lampeye's so there's a good school again and let the Maculatus slowly go extinct. IF I ever find them, can I add some 12 Brigittae to my tank? I can't really return the ones I just got back to the 'web shop', can I? And feeding the unknown Brigittae to my roommates axolotls might not be the most humane thing to do, haha.

And maybe a bit offtopic; should I get more Kuhlii's and risk being overstocked, or keep them in this (bit too small) group?

Tank parameters:

pH: 7,8
Ammonia: 0,25 ppm (maybe from the tap? Always been like this)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5 ppm

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 2014-02-14 11.35.07.jpg
    2014-02-14 11.35.07.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 2014-02-14 11.28.07.jpg
    2014-02-14 11.28.07.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 2014-02-14 11.30.42.jpg
    2014-02-14 11.30.42.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 2014-02-13 12.40.34.jpg
    2014-02-13 12.40.34.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 76
I found a handy little guide here about rasbora species here. By now I'm pretty sure they aren't Brigittae but Merah (probably) or Naevus (maybe, some look like it).

The question about stocking remains though. What should I do? How much more of there (very little) fish can I stock, given I would find real Brigittae? It seems to me that 10 - 20 more shouldn't be a problem given the low bioload.

Back
Top Bottom