Wanted to Introduce myself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajwetton

Aquarium Advice Activist
My name is AJ, i'm recently getting back into aquariums with my girlfriend after taking about 15 years off. I wasn't serious about it back then but we decided to get a 20g tank to start off as we are gonna be moving and still living in apts, when I get somewhere more permanent I wanna go big as far as size goes. Tanks going through a rough spot atm, Didn't know about the nitrogen cycle when we got it and so that was an oops, all the literature said ditch your filter after every month and I now know from being on here that it was just trying to get more money out of us. Its been up about 5 weeks now and so i'm doing water changes trying to get levels in line. I bought my API master test kit and am using it every day. Just discovered Ick on top of this happening, Read about the heat method that was suggested by members when someone else posted. I've learned alot just from the forums and am now trying to not be stupid and do the research to get things sorted out as far as attempting to get the good bacteria grown and heal up my poor fish without losing any of them. As far as Ick goes i slowly brought up the temp to 84 and have reduced the water level, also went out tonight and bought an air stone to get extra O2 in the tank. Gonna keep up with my water changes and i'll keep ya posted. Just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for all the advice you didn't know you were giving me. Its helping me not stress as bad knowing people have gone through it and that I can fix the mistakes I made in slightly rushing the process.

Welcome to the forum! Good choice I on the heat method.... No worries there is a lot of learning in this hobby. We've all made mistakes and will probably make more. Good luck!

Welcome to AA!! You are having a rough start but glad you are on your way to making it all right!!!

Thanks you guys, yea I've got alot to learn but am willing to do it. Still working on getting the ammonia down and the ick, got tank to around 84-86 now. Any estimates on how long approx it takes? I know it's not a set number of days but a window of approx time might help my being on edge lol. The ammonia I tested was down to around a 1 when I just tested an did my daily water change. Trying to keep the lights off alittle more so they can take it easy and rest some. I opted for the heat method as well as patience with water changes for ammonia vs chemicals. I just don't like the idea of chemicals if I don't have too, plus I have neon tetras and I'm pretty sure the meds for ick would be bad for them.

You are doing good. I also try to do everything "natural" and not add anything except water. You might lose some fish, it happens to everyone. Just do research before adding any fish to the tank so you know if they are suitable for your fish, and you will be alright. I have learned a lot just from reading other posts as well, that is what is so great about the Internet!! Imagine we couldn't just look up anything we want. Haha

On a different note NY, I noticed on your a profile your a chef, I'm in the industry as well, what type of cuisine do you do?

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!
Ich can be tough but easily treated. The heat method is the safest one. Off to a good start with the treatment. I would recommend increasing to 86 degrees over a one day period. Change the water every day or every other day, and make sure to vacuum/clean the substrate every other day. Try reducing any form of stress by turning off the aquarium lights and limiting sudden movements. In all this said, aquarium salt isn't necessary.
Keep us posted.
Good luck!

I love Italian, though most of my interest tends to lean towards Asian flavors with an upscale twist. On the aquarium front I just lost my neon school and my cave tetras. One of my guppies is swimming bad but the rest while looking sickly are hanging in there, heat is holding around 85ish and I've it a lot of aeration going.

Edit: I think you posted that on someone else who had ick the phasing seems familiar lol but I'm following that plan to the letter see above for progress

Doing good. Just let the ich play out, and wait a couple weeks after the water is back to normal before adding any more fish.

Had a thought if in a worst case scenario every fish dies how do I know when it's treated?

Sorry you lost the school! I've seen heat work in five days to two weeks. Either way leave the heat elevated for ten days after the last spot you see.

If you lose all fish, leave the tank empty for two weeks. Neons are notorious for not being hardy. That being said try the cardinals

Well I thought about that if i lost everything but that would kill any bacteria i've built up and I'd have to start the cycle process over again correct? IF everything is gone couldn't i just crank the heat for a few weeks to say 90 or so since there would be no fish and kill it all that way?

If you lose everything drop in fish food or pure ammonia to keep the bacteria alive.

And yes you could crank it. Not sure if the bacteria would survive though. Possibly

All this food talking got me hungry and it's only a little after 10am here...lol!

Lol its only 9 here and i nibbled alittle, though i keep getting distracted checking on what remains of the poor decimated tank. Pretty sure unless the guppies unexpectedly keel over they look to be all that will survive this Ich attack.

Sorry about all your losses man. Sounds like it was just quite a shock to all the fish with the ick and ammonia etc, etc..

Hearing about all this happening in just 5 weeks makes me think that your fish had ick when you got them from the store. If you go back, check out all the fish to see if everyone is infested. Best of luck.

Yea I think the mollies were reacting to ammonia but it was rapidly dropping was down to a 1 yesterday thanks to 50% water changes. And I think it was my neons, they were the last integrated in almost a week ago. No problems at all ich wise until yesterday so I think the neons had it in their gills cause there weren't spots... Once I clear ich ill get the ammonia under control and start again, I think only my few guppies will be left.

Back
Top Bottom