Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do I know the temperature of the tap when I'm doing water changes? Just guess?

Also, do I add enough water conditioner for the whole tank or just for the water I'm replacing?

Do I put it in the tank and then add the water or do I mix it in the water and then add to the tank?

Also, the instructions say 5ml for 10 gallons. That would be 1/2ml per gallon. How do I measure half a ml?

Sorry for all of the questions! :)

How do I know the temperature of the tap when I'm doing water changes? Just guess?

Also, do I add enough water conditioner for the whole tank or just for the water I'm replacing?

Do I put it in the tank and then add the water or do I mix it in the water and then add to the tank?

Also, the instructions say 5ml for 10 gallons. That would be 1/2ml per gallon. How do I measure half a ml?

I just temp match the best I can and then watch my thermometer to check the temp, I add Prime as I start filling the tank. I dose Prime for the entire tank but you can just does for the amount your adding. If you wanna get real technical and dose half a mL you can use a children's medicine syringe thats dosed in mL's the just go half of the 1mL mark!

The syringe is about 2 bucks.

OK thanks. I looked for prime but lps only had aqueon water conditioner.

Any harm in dosing the tank for ten gallons when only changing two?

I have plenty of syringes but itd be so much easier just to use drops lol. Anyone know approx how many drops are in half a ml?

Oh crap! Forgot to mention the substrate is fluorite. Should I gravel siphon that?

I have plenty of syringes but itd be so much easier just to use drops lol. Anyone know approx how many drops are in half a ml?

Those of us using water changers that hookup to the sink dose to the tank size before refilling- no harm done!

In respect to the drops, it's bit tricky. There's all different sized drops and different means to dispense them (eye dropper, adult med dropper, kids med dropper, pipette, etc). I did do a very unscientific test using a kids med dropper awhile ago out of curiosity. The average number of drops in 1ml is @20-25 drops, give or take. So, based on this, I would say 10-12 drops for 1/2ml. Hope this helps a bit!

No harm in dosing the tank and I think the other question was answered below :)

You could go to walmart or any other store and get an istant digital meat therm. I get the water temp with in .5 deg of tank water but thats me most will say to use your feel to get as close as possible

For temp... i use my hand, get it close...

I use a water changer that hooks directly to my tap so i dose the whole tank. if you are using the ole bucket brigade method, you can dose each bucket for JUST that amount of water...

Back
Top Bottom