Water changing filter/heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

When I change my water I do NOT turn off of my heater and filter. I used to but then I read( I don't remember where) that you should NOT turn them off because it will stress your fish and is not good for the water.

I NEVER let the water get below the heater's water line. EVER!

Is this what I am supossed to do? OR am I supossed to turn them off?

thanks!!!

For a water change, I dont think it matters. The water line of a heater is to make sure it dosn't overheat, so as long as you put water back in it will be ok.

I never turn off my heater or filter when doing PWCs either. I don't think it would bother the fish if you did, however - just be sure to turn them back on when you're finished!!! :D

I dont think turning them off for an hour or less to change water is going to matter much. Just keep the heater submerged and the filter primed and you certainly can let then run. I leave the lights on to so I can see what I am doing.

ok thanks. A while ago I turned off EVERYTHING. It was in the basement(ew) so it was SOOOO hard to see. When I turned back on the filter stuff floated EVERYWHERE.

I thik I am going to keep them on! I only take out about 20% of water every 2 weeks.

Wow, 20% every 2 weeks really isnt much. Do you test your water? Make sure the ammonia and nitrite stay down? Anyway, I always shut off everything when I do my water changes. 50% evrey 2 weeks. I have never had a problem, not even with my betta.

JodiMartin2003 said:
Wow, 20% every 2 weeks really isnt much. Do you test your water? Make sure the ammonia and nitrite stay down? Anyway, I always shut off everything when I do my water changes. 50% evrey 2 weeks. I have never had a problem, not even with my betta.

the last time I changed out 50% of the water half my fish died. All my nitraes and ammonia were fine..strangely enough.

So 20% every other week isnt good?

As long as your ammonia and nitrite stay at zero then that is fine. You must have a small bioload for that tank. Sorry about your loss of fish with the water change. I have even done a 70% water change with no deaths and my tank is WAYYYY overstocked at the moment. I am actually taking some fish back to LFS tomorrow. My BF got seriously crazy about putting fish in the tank and overloaded it. So your 20% is probably doing you more good than my 50% LOL

well if you look at my sig then you can see how many fish I will have in there. Tell me how much to change.

I think you are doing just fine. Sorry for saying anything in the first place about it. If I woulda looked at your sig, I wouldnt have said anything at all.

thanks. I just took out about 20% of my water. I guess I did that last week too!!! Is it ok to do 20% weekly?

i turn off my heater and filter when i do water changes becuase my filter starts to make noise when the water goes below the intake and i dont want to break the impeller by running it dry. but keep in mind i have a hob filter and the intake isnt very low to the substrate

my filter hangs on the back and the filter tube is about 1" off the rocks. It didn't make any weird noise but I on;y had water out of it for about 5 min or less. I try to do it quickly but affectivly!

ok..THANKS!! I was worried that it was going to do something..lol. and if the water gets below the water line on the heater it should be fine for a few seconds? i accidentaly got it this much lower than the line today:

________(heater line)

(air)

_______(water line)

check out my post about my results from my test! thanks!

Regarding the frequency of the water changes, it doesn't matter what the ammonia and nitrite readings are when a tank is cycled. They will always be 0. You should be concerned with the Nitrate reading. What is your usual Nitrate reading before doing a water change?

I always turn my heater off because it was my understanding that if you leave it on and its not submersed it will break or crack. I know some are supposed to have an "auto shut-off" to prevent that - but I'm not willing to test it. But I'm overcautious I guess. LOL
And I always turn off my filter because my intake only extends about halfway down and when the water drops down, the filter makes a horrendous noise.

Sure! Weekly would be better too when you put in the other fish, unless you do every other week and just change more of the water. That is my suggestion.

thanks! I do a water change every week for my betta, but now I have 3 tanks!!! LOL It only took me about 20 min. yesterday to do all of them!

Wow I was wondering what I am doing wrong - it takes me like 35-45 minutes just to do my 26 gallon. Then I realize I also gravel vac, scrub the glass, clean off my plants, and all that stuff... if you're cycling, you're not doing all that yet. Enjoy your super fast PWC's now - it won't last. LOL ;)

Back
Top Bottom