water chemistry changeover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JurassicRIP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
whats the best way for me to change a tank from a hard water area, to a softer water area? I'm thinking of doing it in gradual stages, perhaps 10% every 2 or 3 days until the tank is adjusted fully. The area i live in at the moment is at the high end of the pH scale (7.5) for goldfish, but i'm not sure how different the pH between this place and the new place is. any views? ( p.s , the tank is planted, so i don't want to use a phosphate buffer of any sort).

I don't know. Maybe you could do it the way you'd acclimate a saltwater fish.

Have the fish in a bag with the old water. Fill the tank with the new water. Then float the bag for a while to adjust the temp of the bag's water. Then, slowly alternate adding water from the new tank and letting it sit for ten minutes. After the fish is in mostly new water, put him into the new water and hope for the best. :Fade-color

Yes, that is how I would do it, and is how I acclimate all new fish to the tank. I float the bag and add quarter-cup quantities of water over about a 45 minute period. It is the sudden change that is the problem. See if you can test the water where you will be moving to and see how different it will actually be.

How far are you moving, if you are moving? Are you going to be transporting the water from your current location to the new location?

Back
Top Bottom