Water quality testing, before or after a water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Komodo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know we do a water quality test whenever we suspect a problem but when it’s part of regular maintenance do you do the testing before or after a water change? I like to do everything at once if possible.

I havnt tested anything in months, I test gh/kh and phosphate and nitrates occasionally for the plants. Once the tanks been established for a few months and you're familiar with the stock and their individual behavior, you should be able to tell if some things amiss based on behavior alone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Testing SHOULD be done... however people like me and brook get lazy and skip it :D

However, you can test the water before hand and figure out how large of a water change you want to do. I just default to a 50% weekly change myself.

Or you can test it about an hour after to see where they are at after the change. It's not a big deal either way.

Both, it just depends when I have time.

Nitrate and phosphate I do together as they take some time.

Kh I tend to do separate with ph another night.

Water testing

Hi Komodo:

Every month or so I test the water about 24 hours after a routine water change. It's my preferred way of monitoring to ensure that there are no problems. Of course, after anything significant -- medication, fish death, etc. -- I test more often.

-Yorg

I know we do a water quality test whenever we suspect a problem but when it’s part of regular maintenance do you do the testing before or after a water change? I like to do everything at once if possible.

Back
Top Bottom