Weird BNP Behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So as some of you know, I recently got my first set of BNP's and I'm absolutely in love with them, I've done quite a bit of research on care, but havent read, seen, or heard much about behavior other than they like to hide...

Question:
Out of the 4 I have, seems like atleast 2 are ALWAYS on my pre-filter sponge.
They might rotate which ones are on it, but there is usually always at least 2 of them on it.
Is there something wrong for them to do this?

I've only had them for about 2 days now if that matters, and they are still juvies, 2 being 2" the other 2 being 1.5".

either they like the current by being under the filter or the suction from the sponge, or if its a nice dirty brown one (like mine) they are probably eating all that good stuff off of it.

It's probably all 3. Black sponge, but gets full of gunk fast! I was just worried that they might be on it because they aren't getting enough o2? But with as heavily planted as the tank is, and with an aquaclear 50 on a 28 gallon tank on full blast, they should be fine right?

They have quickly become my favorite fish in the tank, so I am probably just being over worried...
But other than my dad keeping a common or two back when I was little, this is my first actual experience with this species.

with the plants and the filter causing surface agitation, yes they should be fine, they are probably just munching on the filter

Have caves?

Know what sexes are out?

Have noticed my male won't leave his cave, literally I have to force him out of it if I take them out for some reason, and he will walk and wedge himself in it when he knows I want him out! But my females are never in the caves, always lounging around sucked on to something or other. Just what I have observed in my fish.

/shrug mine are out messing around all the time, granted they are in a sump without a direct light on em but its still pretty light in their tank.

Don't know how to edit on the app.

My females are out all the time messing around.

Have caves?

Know what sexes are out?

Have noticed my male won't leave his cave, literally I have to force him out of it if I take them out for some reason, and he will walk and wedge himself in it when he knows I want him out! But my females are never in the caves, always lounging around sucked on to something or other. Just what I have observed in my fish.

Yes, other than tank size(temp thing), I believe my tank is pretty ideal for them. There's a few caves, and a few medium sized pieces of driftwood with a lot of crevices that they can munch on and hide in/under if they'd like.

They are still too young to tell sexes. The 2 largest are about 2" and the other 2 are about 1.5"

Thanks for all the fast replies everyone! I really appreciate it! Hopefully I'm just being an overly anxious pleco mom! Lol

Males pretty much hang out in the caves most of the time. Either they're trying to entice a female in to lay some eggs, or they've been successful and are busily fanning away at the eggs and generally being good daddies.

The females promptly return to munching on the glass, wood, rocks or what have you. That's why the girls are much better tank cleaners.

Back
Top Bottom