What Anerobic bacteria do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah E

Aquarium Advice Activist
My mother specializes in beneficial bacteria. Great for our cat, our parrots, our poodles, it's anaerobic fermentation of lactic acid bacteria. Sauerkraut brine, carrot brine, kimchi.... we can create anything microbial!

Which anaerobic bacteria do we need specifically for a healthy fish-tank/cycle.

Also, here's a link to our website: Pickl-It

... I am not sure...
For the cycle, you need bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite, then another that converts it into nitrate. That is a different bacteria than one that ferments lactic acid.
The website is cool, but I am not sure that there is a direct application to your tank. I will summon up my biology knowledge though and look into it more.

Bacteria of the genus Nitrobacter, Nitrosomonas, and Nitrospira, I believe, are responsible for nitrification in our tanks. I'm not sure that the individual species are identified, and probably vary from tank to tank. Also, I believe they are for the most part aerobic. Except the dentrifying bacteria, but those are more relied upon in saltwater tanks.

Nitrification Network

--Adeeb

anaerobic bacteria means that they reproduce without oxygen. The bacteria that colonize in a freshwater tank are aerobic bacteria. They live in an oxygen rich environment. While anaerobic bacteria like lactobacillus are good in the gastrointestinal tracts of humans and animals, they are not beneficial for your freshwater aquarium.

2nded (3rded?), they are aerobic. Anaerobes are what grow in deep sand and kill critters. No lactic acid in aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom