What are my fish doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a Pair of Nanochromis dimidiatus and the male is swimming around the female and "Scraping himself" against Rocks, Driftwood really anything that has some type of edge. Is this some form of mating? Whats the deal here?

Not sure what they are doing, but just wanted to say that they look awesome.

Usually when a fish is scratching against stuff they have a parasite issue or something irritating their gills.

The activity is known as "flashing". They do it when they have something agitating their exterior.

It can be a sign of ick, flukes, and several other diseases. It is almost always no good.

Well I have read that it could be due to high Nitrates so I am testing them right now. I did my first frozen food feeding yesterday and may of overfed so I am worried that may be the cause. But only the male is flashing all the other fish seem fine. Last night I tested nitrates and they were like 160ppm...they have NEVER been that high and after my test this morning it shows about 7ppm. Should I add some salt?

by looking at them there is no discoloration or anything wrong looking with them.

Back
Top Bottom