What Are They Doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Netti

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two blue gouramis. For some reason right now as I type, they are both very dark, and are pretty much TAKING TURNS nipping on each other; one nips exceptionally hard, and then they spin around each other and the other returns the favor. It doesn't seem like fighting. What is this?

Thanx

I'm definitely no expert, but it sounds like they are demonstrating some mating behaviour.

Better get a maternity ward set up. :D

gouramis shades change depending on their mood, stress, etc.

males have a longer pointier dorsal fin and females have a shorter, rounder one...do you have a male and a female?

yeah they look to be male and female, maybe it is mating. Most likely will be unsuccessful tho; too much activity in that tank.

Are you sure they aren't both male? Usually, the female is very dull in color. I've got 2 dwarfs, one red one blue, and they exhibit the same behavior. I think it's more a show of dominance than mating. They chase each other back and forth, but they don't nip too hard, just enough to send the other guy packing. :)

Back
Top Bottom