What can I add to increase the water quality of my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlrust1816

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 20 gallon tank with 2 Bolivian Rams, 3 Corys (Green, Julii, and a Rabauti), and I recently added 2 Honey Gouramis.

I didnt realize until I got them that Honey Gouramis are very dirty and are constantly expelling waste.

I am wondering if there are any fish or inverts that I can add that wont over crowd my tank (I currently have a potential of 18.5" of fish in a 20 gallon) but help clean things up and possibly help the tank be more "self cleaning" to ensure a higher quality set up.

If not what chemicals would help.

Your cories are probably a good enough cleaning crew. Give them a chance if they aren't up to snuff already.

-Just on a side note...cories do better when they are of the same type.

cories and khuli loaches are the best at stirring/digging the gravel.

this helps keep the waste floating and sucked up by the filter

Q -What can I add to increase the water quality of my tank?

A -A routine schedule of partial water changes & gravel vacs would be your best bet.

You won't find any fish that eat waste (aka "fish poop"). But it definitely helps to have corys or some other bottom feeder that will eat the food the other fish leave behind. As mentioned previously, they feel more secure if you have several of one species instead of one of each. You should avoid adding chemicals to the water to "clean it up" as they can cause problems of their own (i.e. cause nitrate spikes). You might want to look at getting an apple snail or perhaps adding some live plants. Of course you should vaccum your gravel on a regular basis to remove the debris that doesn't get taken care of by your fish or other tank inhabitants.

talloulou said:
Q -What can I add to increase the water quality of my tank?

A -A routine schedule of partial water changes & gravel vacs would be your best bet.

perfect answer. Kudos for talloulou!

Water changes, water changes, water changes! 50% weekly is what I have done for over 26 years.

Back
Top Bottom