What can I do with a 1.5 gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

viveleramen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My niece got a betta in a 1.5 gal tank for her birthday a few months ago. I decided that was unacceptable and bought her an early Christmas 5 gal. We rehomed the thing today and are left with this actually pretty nifty little tank.
It came with a hood light and an itty bitty filter, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

I don't need a fry/quarantine tank, but I have some ideas.
1. I've never had a terrarium before and was wondering if there are any small lizards or frogs that could thrive in such a small tank? newts/salamanders? snakes? Something fairly easy/low maintenance.
2. I've seen suggestions for a couple shrimp or snails, but I find them boring. convince me?
3. I might cycle it and use it to grow freshwater (or saltwater) plants in? Does anyone know of some resources where I could learn to grow them?
4. I'm not a big insect fan, but could I use it to breed crickets or worms or something for feeding?
5. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a unique idea. I'm kind of sold on the terrarium idea, but if there isn't anything small enough...

I currently have:
55 gal freshwater tank with 13 danios, 1 common pleco (he's only about 2 inches now), and 3 gold barbs
5 gal freshwater, unstocked, but cycled (quarantine)
5 gal empty, no water (occasional fry tank, only needed it once so far)
I am also planning for a 175 gal with angelfish but I won't get that started until after the summer when I move.
2 cats

and as a side note, is there any chance that the pleco might not grow to be massive? I know the max is about 18 inches, but I can't find anything on what the average size is. Any possibility he'll stop growing around 10-12 inches?

There are so many types of shrimp but having a little breeding colony of RCS is nice. You can watch the berried females and watch how little the shrimp start and grow. Watch you little colony grow. Most reptiles need something larger unless you want to raise a tadpole and even that might be a stretch. You could also turn it into one of those cool little planted nano tanks.

There are so many types of shrimp but having a little breeding colony of RCS is nice. You can watch the berried females and watch how little the shrimp start and grow. Watch you little colony grow. Most reptiles need something larger unless you want to raise a tadpole and even that might be a stretch. You could also turn it into one of those cool little planted nano tanks.

I think RCS might be a bit too big for the 1.5... would they do well in my 55? I could put the adults in there as they mature... I'm not sure how they'd do with the pleco when he gets bigger, though I tend to be overly cautious.

viveleramen said:
I think RCS might be a bit too big for the 1.5... would they do well in my 55? I could put the adults in there as they mature... I'm not sure how they'd do with the pleco when he gets bigger, though I tend to be overly cautious.

RCS are perfect for a 1.5. They will be destroyed in your 55.

viveleramen said:
My niece got a betta in a 1.5 gal tank for her birthday a few months ago. I decided that was unacceptable and bought her an early Christmas 5 gal. We rehomed the thing today and are left with this actually pretty nifty little tank.
It came with a hood light and an itty bitty filter, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

I don't need a fry/quarantine tank, but I have some ideas.
1. I've never had a terrarium before and was wondering if there are any small lizards or frogs that could thrive in such a small tank? newts/salamanders? snakes? Something fairly easy/low maintenance.
2. I've seen suggestions for a couple shrimp or snails, but I find them boring. convince me?
3. I might cycle it and use it to grow freshwater (or saltwater) plants in? Does anyone know of some resources where I could learn to grow them?
4. I'm not a big insect fan, but could I use it to breed crickets or worms or something for feeding?
5. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a unique idea. I'm kind of sold on the terrarium idea, but if there isn't anything small enough...

I currently have:
55 gal freshwater tank with 13 danios, 1 common pleco (he's only about 2 inches now), and 3 gold barbs
5 gal freshwater, unstocked, but cycled (quarantine)
5 gal empty, no water (occasional fry tank, only needed it once so far)
I am also planning for a 175 gal with angelfish but I won't get that started until after the summer when I move.
2 cats

and as a side note, is there any chance that the pleco might not grow to be massive? I know the max is about 18 inches, but I can't find anything on what the average size is. Any possibility he'll stop growing around 10-12 inches?

Numbers 2,3 sound like a great idea. as for your pleco, it would be a great addition to your 175 when you get it up and running.

RCS would do fine IMO. It was good of you to rehome the betta. You can also use it to grow live food.

FIDDLER CRABS!! One male one female, a few inches of water and you could make the rest into a miniature aquascape :brows:

I could get one of those big cave decorations so they could climb on top of it... haha I could actually probably find some fiddlers in my backyard. I'm not sure how I would keep them warm enough though.

also what would I feed them?

I could get one of those big cave decorations so they could climb on top of it... haha I could actually probably find some fiddlers in my backyard. I'm not sure how I would keep them warm enough though.

also what would I feed them?

ooh! and the filter is one of those waterfall types, and it only needs to be submerged maybe three inches... you've got me all excited now, they'll have a little waterfall...

In all honesty, a 1.5gal tank is only suitable for a few dwarf shrimp or snails ... and even then just a few shrimp. You can do 1 or two Amano as they will not breed in FW. RCS would quickly breed and just overwhelm a 1.5 gal. I have a 6.6gal and I've got at least 60+ babies .. not to mention the adults / juveniles.

Sorry, have been working on my salt tanks... Fiddler crabs can and will eat anything. Shrimp pellet, single, in their water, lettuce, hermit crab food works good too!!

Back
Top Bottom