What can I do with a 1gal w/ water temp of 71?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I finally got approval to set up a tank at work but I'm limited to 1gal and no heater, going to use this tank I already had. Set it up today just see what the water temps would be before getting a fish. Originally I'd planned on getting a betta but without the light on, the water temp hovered around 71 and this seems too cold for a betta, but then I've never kept one before. I can't think of any other small-ish fish that would do well kept individually. If it helps, I'll also be adding 1 or 2 small plants. Any thoughts on what fish might be happy in this little home?

Well a betta is really out of the question in a 1gal. You might be able to find something here: Nano-Fish Other than that, a few shrimp or snails would work. A nice little planted shrimp tank would be good :)

--Adeeb

I take it guppies and african frogs are out of the question as well?

hbeth82 said:
I take it guppies and african frogs are out of the question as well?

Yup. Definitely. I second shrimp and snails :) cherry shrimp are cool. You could breed them!

1 gal is too small for anything but a few shrimp and some snails. I wouldn't even put any nanofish in a 1 gal -- and I usually push stocking limits.

You could African dwarf frogs, not guppies. Idk how sensitive ADFs are to temperature

*edit: nvm wrong thread

Fishkeeper26 said:
You could African dwarf frogs, not guppies. Idk how sensitive ADFs are to temperature

*edit: nvm wrong thread

Not even ADF's. They're social, meaning 3 at least, and the minimum rule is one per gallon.

Halocridina rubra are a good shrimp option for that size tank. You could have a small group of them. They are hard to get ahold of and I think saltwater though. If not, a few red cherry shrimp.

--Adeeb

Homedog98 said:
Not even ADF's. They're social, meaning 3 at least, and the minimum rule is one per gallon.

Yes sorry, there is a similar thread to this about a 7 gallon tank.

I agree, stick to shrimp and snails. If you upgrade the lighting fixture to where it can hold a CFL you could do a lot with it. This would allow you to plant the tank, and it could look really nice- even with just shrimp and snails.

I have a couple 1 gal shrimp tanks, each with three shrimp and one small nerite snail. I agree that is your only option for a 1 gal :)

Your really handcuffed with only 1 gal, I would say a shrimp or two at most ... maybe.

i have to dissagree twith you 100%. IME he could easily have 10 Red cherrie's in there without a hint or sliver of a problem.

Back
Top Bottom