Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good or not???????????

Old 10-04-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am also interested in this question, having been looking at various options for planting in a tank.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
come get me tang police!

Rather than typing out '15 characters', you could write something pertaining to the question at hand, so that people are more inclined to put some effort into answering it. No offense intended, just my opinion. And on topic, silk plants are o.k, but usually look fake.

Thanks =)
Old 10-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Personally I loathe fake plants of all sorts. I think they are an insult to botany. Lol, but thats an extreme opinion. I understand that growing live plants is not possible in all set-ups, but if its not, I choose to get things other than silk plants. I think they look tacky. Fake house plants tick me off, fake garden plants tick me off, and fake aquarium plants do too. Again, just my opinion. The important part of a tank is keeping the fish happy, and making it into something you enjoy.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am thumbing through a catalog from "that fish place," and here are some brands;

Penn Plax
Aquarium Systems
Natural Elements
Tetra Water Wonders
Plants Plus (silk)

They seem to come in both plastic and silk. Some look better (more realistic) than others, but it is hard to tell from a catalog.
The anchor designs on some of them are pretty clever.
I wish I had more experience to provide advice. I'm interested in what the rest of you have to say about your experiences.

I will go to real plants some day, but I want to limit the variables during the initial few months.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get plastic not silk. When silk gets dirty it never goes clean. Get live if you can though. I understand that it's not particularly convenient for everyone. And whoever says you can't make a beautiful tank using rocks wood and a few fake plants is either a snob or hasn't tried it,
Old 10-04-2011, 01:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crepe View Post
Get plastic not silk. When silk gets dirty it never goes clean.
And whoever says you can't make a beautiful tank using rocks wood and a few fake plants is either a snob or hasn't tried it,
THIS!

Also, if you follow some simple rules of aquascaping, plastic plants can look natural.
Tall plants back, shorter plants at the front.
Stick to 2-3 species and bunch them together, so it hides as much of the plastic 'stub' stems.

Avoid the rainbow coloured plastic plants. They tend to look less-natural. Stick to the green and brownish/red plants.

Let algae grow on the plants. A little slime is healthy. You don't want the plants to look too perfect when the light hits them.

Tags
plant, plants, silk plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com