What Else Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcsatre

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well I just found this rockin' site.
I apologize :oops: for all the questions.

I am a goldfish fanatic, I know alot of people prefer tropical but Goldfish do it for me, just watching them relaxing me, and the pace that we all work, I need that.

I have a 55 gallon tank that works well and supported my fish fine last year. But this spring I put the pond in out back. So needless to say that fish has really grown, so that means tank #2. Which also means tank #2 needs to be bigger than tank #1. (Well maybe not needs but you know how it works :lol: ).

I am in New Brunswick Canada and my options are very limited I have Wal-Mart (another 55 gallon) or Pet's Unlimited (over priced 75 gallon.)
I would prefer to get the bigger tank, but my cheapness is setting in. The 75 gallon is $500 and I need to get a filter.

So after all that :oops: (sorry) I am wondering if people have a good experience with the larger tanks, and secondly the filter. The store is pushing the Fluval 304, I have no experience with external filters. I am wondering about noise, effectiveness and the cost to upkeep the filter compared to the "over the back" filters that are more common.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read,
And GREAT SITE

Scott

Welcome to AA!

You can always look online for a tank, they are usually cheaper but watch the shipping!

I dont konw anything about your questions really but I just wanted to welcome you :)

Canisters are very quiet, normally i think.

$500 Canadian sounds like too much to me, but with gas prices, and the size of a 75, it may not be worth it to travel very far for a better price.

Never used a Fluval. I like the Rena Filstar canisters. I'd go with the XP3 on a 75gal. XP2 on a 55.

I have to agree that the price is a little high for a 75 gal. I would look around. We have several members from Canada who have been able to snatch up used tanks for incredible prices. Perhaps they will chime in.

In regard to the canister, I have the fluval 404. Great filter.

No need to apologize for asking questions! That's what we are all here for!

If you go with a 75gal the Fluval 303 will be too small, I would go with the 404! Got the 304 myself and it's really a great thing! It is absoloutely silent, easy to asemble, and very easy to change the filter material.
Canister filters are better than backpack filter IMO. They have a bigger filter volume and more space for all the good bacteria. And since I've heard that goldfish are a little messy that would be the way to go.

For accessories (however that is spelled) look at www.bigalsonline.com, they have a store in canada, too. They are the cheapest online, are really friendly and helpful and they package their stuff really good.

It is always better to get a as big tank as you can afford, since it will be easier to maintain the water quality. 500$ is really too much though. That's about how much I spend for my 70gal with all the technic, a DIY stand and canopy, all the plants, gravel, fish food, etc., etc.(filter, too).

I've got my aquarium from www.glasscages.com. They drive around sometimes, too and visit other states. Check their homepage if they will maybe come to Canada or what shipping would be.

Welcome to AA! I found my 125 gal tank with 2 cannister filters, lights, stand, canopy hood, substrate and 2 heaters for 1000.00 Can from the classified section of the newspaper. Check the paper, check with the local aquarium society. You can find a better deal out there.

Well - at least you've got another option besides Walmart. I am also a Canadian in a smaller town with few options for fish or supplies. I don't know what it's like where you are... but for me, there simply is no waiting for a good deal in the classifieds... very few individuals around here will part with a larger tank and if they did, it would go for enough money that I would consider buying new instead. I have a 4.5 hour drive to anything other than Walmart so I can certainly understand you're frustrations.

There is a Regional forum for Canada on this site and I would highly recommend you joining it... you have to ask for membership (takes a day or so), and then you can post in that forum.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php

Through a lot of advice on that forum, I can offer you the following links for equipment purchases (either Canadian or will ship to Canada).

MOPS
http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/scstore/shophome.asp?L+scstore+vmtd2687ffddd2dd+1127275305

SUPERFISHSTORE
http://superfishstore.com/waterworld/nfoscomm/catalog/index.php

J&L AQUATICS
http://www.jlaquatics.com/

BIG AL'S ONLINE - CANADA
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/?splash_done=1

I did research reviews online for the Rena Filstar XP2 and XP3 versus the Fluvals and found that the XP2's and XP3's were better for quietness and ease of use. I will likely order the Filstars from Superfishstore because the difference in price certainly makes it worth it in the end. The shipping I doubt will be much difference for me coming from the states or coming from Toronto (it may as well be the states for distance). I'll just watch for a decent exchange rate and call Customs about the duty.

As for the price of the 75 -- in small Canadian towns, the tank is really worth whatever you want to pay for it. After shopping around, it was going to be over $1200 for a 125 gallon with stand and canopy. Even a 4.5 hour drive to the nearest city, people wanted a lot of money for a used, dirty tank in the classifieds. My hubby decided that was ludicrous and talked to a local glass company... they are building me a 375 gallon tank for $850. My husband's a carpenter and contractor so he is doing all of the necessary other work (basement reno -- let's face it, you have to have concrete to support that much water) and building the stand and canopy himself. I think he's hoping that if I have one monster tank, I won't be buying anymore in the future.... ALTHOUGH the new 55 should be here next week. :D

Back
Top Bottom