What fish have you had before, and never will again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I loved all of my fish but one, the powder blue dwarf gourami. He was such a jerk that he ended up in a 10 gallon tank with the black loaches that he couldn't catch. His old tankmate, a flame DG, got put into the 75 gallon with only one other fish. Who got the better end of the deal? LOL

As I can read on this thread, every one has a different experience......
I love my Angelfish, never bite on my rummynose tetras, golden white clouds, or even my cardinal tetras.

Bu I did have a Gourami, was orange in color, and he killed another gourami, almost killed my angelfish, and keep an albino shark terrorized.....

So what up and what down??

For me i'll say the silver dollar fish, they grew huge, i mean HUGE. 2 adult silver dollar fish took up most of my 10g aquarium. also their really aggressive, they killed my new crayfish, the fish were just as big a small betta

SDs do grow huge and aren't suited to a 10 gallon tank... Infact they should grow as tall as a 10 gallon tank is tall eventually... Sigh...

Aggressive though? Are you sure they didn't sell you Piranha? They can look similar when small. SDs are the most skittish and non-aggressive fish I have ever kept.

Don't know what they were called buy I got a pair of long, white or albino "catfish" that emptied out my tank Then one day there was only one catfish
And he would get out of the tank and had a lung so he didn't die
One day I hound him between the edge of the carpet and the baseboard covered in a shell of dust
I rolled the dust off him and he was fine
Don't remember how he met his end but it was alone
He probably starved because he never got any more live food after he ate his brother

Don't know what they were called buy I got a pair of long, white or albino "catfish" that emptied out my tank Then one day there was only one catfish
And he would get out of the tank and had a lung so he didn't die
One day I hound him between the edge of the carpet and the baseboard covered in a shell of dust
I rolled the dust off him and he was fine
Don't remember how he met his end but it was alone
He probably starved because he never got any more live food after he ate his brother

You probably got an albino channel cat or clarid. I see them in LFS' all the time and they are sold a dime a dozen. Woulda gotten abou 18"...I feel like going catfishing now lol.

aquabeast said:
well, for me its a toss up between the bala shark, iridescent shark, or pictus catfish.. ive gone through 4 of those pictus, and i hate them..

I have started this hobby only since a month. And my first fish is iridescent shark. I like it very much. The worst fish i had were the jewel cichlids. Then i traded them with one pleco and one blue mbuna cichlid. And now i hate cichlids. They dying one by one. When i get a bigger tank (now i own 10g), i ll keep this present tank as a cichlid tank.

Crepe said:
You probably got an albino channel cat or clarid. I see them in LFS' all the time and they are sold a dime a dozen. Woulda gotten abou 18"...I feel like going catfishing now lol.

I paid a lot more for these guys
I thought I later found that they were from Africa
Wait a minute while I look at all the pictures in my fish guide and see if he is there
. . .
Well, 5 minutes
And no luck
The only other think I remember about them was that they were naked

Tim Wheatley said:

Could be but it is hard to tell what they look like from those pictures
The anatomical description seems about right except that these were a pinkish white with no sign of any patterning
The picture if the Ictaluridae they reference, which includes the channel catfish, looks kinda like what I remember except the dorsal fin looks too short
I am thinking the dorsal was continuous with the caudal
Definitely hade a slime coat

Definitely oscars. Two of them terrorized my tank. They destroyed all my plants, I mean SHREDDED them. Cabomba, hairgrass, wysteria, all my crypts, my giant anubis, swords, all gone. Huge holes in the gravel everywhere. Ate all my cardinals ONE BY ONE (over fifty!) and then commenced on to the serpae tetras. When they bored of that game they decided to take out the snails followed by a mass extinction of corydoras. They never could get the loaches, but they harassed my two gouramis to death. My rams banded up together like the movie 300 but the oscars went through them like a hot knife in butter. Sorry, but an oscar will never get in my tank again. Also took off a finger from the paw of my cat, Poseidon, but that was ok, because I always had to get him away from the tank. He never goes to it now.

smarsh7903 said:
Sorry, but an oscar will never get in my tank again. Also took off a finger from the paw of my cat, Poseidon, but that was ok, because I always had to get him away from the tank. He never goes to it now.

O.O;; oh my God...the cat?!?

Yes, btw, I can't believe I didn't post it, but it was not my decision. My dad remembered when he was a kid how oscars were "SO" cool. His pickin buddy had two big oscars and he had been trying to get me to take them for weeks. I went on a hiking trip in the smokies and came back just over a week later to pure destructive aftermath. The cat was fine, but dad said it bled all over the place. Vet fixed Poseidon right up. Named him that because he liked my tanks. Should probably just call him Steve or Poor Paws or something like that now since he has NOTHING to do with any of them anymore.

For me, it'd have to be a Buttikoferi. Meanest, nastiest fish I've ever owned. Despite having plenty of room, he outright attacked his larger tankmates and eventually killed several of them because he just wouldn't stop once he got started. He was with a large Oscar, some kind of Pike, a Managuense and a few other big fish.

The LFS I got him from told me he'd "fit right in" with my aggressive stock in my largest tank. Couple weeks later they got him back in trade for some less insane fish.

I had angel fish before and one ate the other so never again !! Also green severums we got a green and a gold as babies the gold one (we still have) is fine but the green one was horrid she attacked anything and every thing she could and killed more than one fish ! I wouldn't have them again

I have a few that I don't want to deal with ever again.
First is Green Tiger Barbs. They were so finicky. I couldn't' keep them alive for nothing. It drove me crazy, every other fish was fine, the Green Tiger Barbs, not.
Another I won't do again is Neon Tetras. I had Just taken 3 new tetras out of QT, they'd been in QT for a month, I put them in the community Tank the next day all 5 tetras were dead. I did PWC daily for several days to get rid of whatever killed them. But a few days after I went back to twice a week and all the rest of the fish broke out with ick and were dead 8 hours later. Even with QT those tetras killed off my entire tank.
I Now have a Mbuna Cichlids and they are great, except for 1 of them.
The Red Zebras are serial killers, not just that, they are sneaky serial killers. I had 1 male RZC who at first was fine, then he hit adolescents.
He decided that half the 55g tank was all his and he would hide and wait for another fish to swim past. He'd lunge out, latch on and rip. dead fish. He would do this at night when we couldn't see him. I finally caught him killing one of the females early one morning. He was back at the FS the next day.
Now all my Cichlids play together and share space and not a single injury let alone death.
And last, although they are cool and beautiful, I wont own any more Sharks. They're personalities are to unpredictable. We had a great Red tail Shark for 2 years. Then for some reason my daughter decided to move the tank a 10g, with all the fish and all the water still in it. She actually made it half way through the house before the bottom fell out of the tank along with the fish and gravel and plants. Everyone lived through it except the RTS. So we got another one, the last one was so sweet, so why not.
OMG!!! We tried 4 different RTS before we gave up. Each one of them were mean and picked on every fish in the tank. We wanted one like, Bruce our first RTS. We named him Bruce after the Shark in finding Nemo. The one that lead the Shark meeting, "Fish are our friends, not food". Our Bruce got it but none of the other RTS did.

I've noticed a lot of these stories include overstocked and undersized tanks.. Sharks, cichlids, angels, etc. in way too small tanks. Obviously they're semi-aggressive fish, but a lot of it may also have to do with inappropriate environment..

I've noticed a lot of these stories include overstocked and undersized tanks.. Sharks, cichlids, angels, etc. in way too small tanks. Obviously they're semi-aggressive fish, but a lot of it may also have to do with inappropriate environment..

Could be in some cases. I know for me though, at one point 6 angels had my 60 gallon to themselves and they were miserable to watch. Couldn't stand the aggression. And while they never picked on other fish once I added them, the other fish were scared of them because they saw them attacking one another all the time.

Could be but it is hard to tell what they look like from those pictures
The anatomical description seems about right except that these were a pinkish white with no sign of any patterning
The picture if the Ictaluridae they reference, which includes the channel catfish, looks kinda like what I remember except the dorsal fin looks too short
I am thinking the dorsal was continuous with the caudal
Definitely hade a slime coat

Definitely a clariid then. They are no more than 5 bucks each. They are aquacultured for food most of the time and I'm pretty sure we just get a few runts or extra fry for the aquarium trade.

Back
Top Bottom