What is going on!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robynleigh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had 4 fish die over the past 4 days.. This tank and fish in it (approx 10 endlers and 6 fancy guppies - a mass amount of fry that I've removed to a grow out tank) were a rescue mission - they were living and breeding in thick green water.
Anyway, all levels on the tank are stable now - I have slowly returned the tank over time to clear, clean water. It's been a massive effort, but worth it. I haven't changed anything other than adding a hang on back filter yesterday, now running 2 filters, but I cannot see that being a reason. 3 fish dead last night (endlers).

Anyone have any clues as to what has happened?? :(

Very hard to say in these situations. If they were living and breeding so successfully in the old conditions, then those conditions, although not aesthetically pleasing to the human eye, were fine for the fish. In nature, it is quite rare to find the perfectly clear water we strive for in our tanks and the balance that was causing the green conditions before your intervention will have occurred relatively slowly through neglect of WCs etc.

I have seen many guppy tanks like this - teeming with fish in various stages of life, yet with green water and slimy green algae coating the glass. The fish are healthy and colourful and obviously 'happy'.

It could just be that, despite your excellent care and concern, the fish are just not suited to the lovely 'clean' conditions you have supplied. If I can make a comparison - koi are always kept in crystal clear water so their caring owners can view their expensive acquisitions, yet carp in the wild live often in muddy, or green water ponds and do absolutely fine. It doesn't mean we are wrong to want to do the best for our fish, it is just that an aquarium can never be a 'natural' environment.

Remember too though, guppies are relatively short lived fish. It may b that some are coming to the end of their natural lives.

Sounds like they are stressed. Stupid question but the hob wasn't cleaned with anything unusual, etc? Just wanting to rule the hob out?

Edit: made that more readable I hope.

The hob I only used water to clean it :( I've done almost a 50% water change tonight, they are all still hovering near the surface, I've taken the hob off and just running my normal filter now just in case - I've put the bubbles on slightly more to give them extra oxygen... I will be truly devastated if they aren't on the mend tomorrow.. I just have absolutely no idea how or why this is happening!!
My fancy guppies seem to be coping better than the endlers, for that I'm grateful but just totally stumped, how this happens when nothing has changed!!
Ph is still the same - 6.5-7 - no fluctuations there...

Fish keeping is supposed to be fun isn't it?? I'm ready to give it all away!!

It sounds like raising the temp and adding salt and possibly methylene blue would help them....this is always my advice to any problem tho......any physical symptoms? I am very good with guppies and endlers, are they hanging? Fungus growth on them? Flickering? Listing?

Was the new filter rinsed/washed off? Did you or anyone use any type of spray or anything around the tank? What about a toxin being introduced via unwashed hands? Go back in your memory and think about when the problem started and what transpired before it.

If you gradually cleared up the green water while the fish were in the tank there wouldn't have been a sudden change to shock the fish. Have you checked for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels in the tank as well as your tap water?

Fish hanging out at the surface and gasping for air indicates a low oxygen level. Which would be odd as oxygen levels are lower, actually much lower in green water.

As rivercats says, low oxygen can cause gasping, but it may also be the gills ability to process oxygen if they have been damaged by high ammonia.

Let us know all the water parameters as soon as you can

2 more deaths... :(

I am going to take some tank water to my LFS today incase it's my test kit, or I'm doing something wrong. I can't go til 12 though so I hope they are ok til then..

Unless one of my kids has sprayed something nothing comes to mind.

The endlers are still at the top of the tank...
I just have them their breakfast feed (flake) and they all were having a go at it,

My husband thinks I'm crazy crying over fish but I feel like I am killing them :(

It sounds like raising the temp and adding salt and possibly methylene blue would help them....this is always my advice to any problem tho......any physical symptoms? I am very good with guppies and endlers, are they hanging? Fungus growth on them? Flickering? Listing?

No fungus - they almost look perfect except their colours seem slightly dull, my tank temperature is at 29 degrees naturally because in live in a hot climate - it's 55 litres how much salt should I add?? Is Epsom salt ok!? I have only got melafix on hand - would that work??

No fungus - they almost look perfect except their colours seem slightly dull, my tank temperature is at 29 degrees naturally because in live in a hot climate - it's 55 litres how much salt should I add?? Is Epsom salt ok!? I have only got melafix on hand - would that work??

29C (84F) is high enough, I wouldn't increase it and would try decreasing it slowly a few degrees to see if that helps them - just as a short term measure.

I've had it go to 34 and they were fine so they can handle the temp though. Just keep the aeration up.

Epsom salt is for fish bloat or constipation, something like that. I would not add that for sure. Aquarium salt I'm not sure would be of benefit here.

As tank temp gone up recently?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom