what is going to be big enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so i have come about with many ideas for what fish to keep my bichir with. How ever many ppl have told me every fish i have picked out isnt big enough. So my question is what is big enough that my bichir wont eat them, but small enough not to make my 55 gal crowded?
I don't want another eel looking fish, thats my only thing.

Sharks like a Rainbow or Red Tail I think can handle themselves. There's also Gouramis. Not sure if a bichir can eat a dwarf gourami, but there's the full-sized ones. Also Angel Fish can get good sized. There's all kinds of fish out there. As for bottom feeders, Plecos. The black knife fish would go good too for a while, but could end up too big, but that's years down the road. Those are just some thoughts.

Snakeskin gouramis should get big enough to not be eaten and larger plecos. Many SA cichlids would probably work too.

I have never kept a bichir, but I think any medium-large, laterally compressed fish would work, such as silver dollars or angels.

Lonewolfblue said:

Sorry, but that page is rubbish...the worst I have seen....of all the fish on that page, only seven are compatible with senegal bichirs, and many are not compatible with any bichir species whatsoever.

Consider many of the smaller, less aggressive cichlids, like Altolamprologus, frontosa, C. afra, jewels, etc...cats that will not damage the bichir, but are too big to swallow (most Doradids, pictus, etc)...if you have any particular fish that you are interested in, feel free to ask.

well i was thinking about getting some african butterfly fish. Seeing as they stay on the surface most the time and at least look pretty big. i can't imagine my bichir eating them, despite his enormus apetite.

I also was looking at leaf fish. However, i havent found anywhere that sells them, nor is there a lot if information about them on the web.

I was also thinking some a couple of snake skin gouramis. I just don't know how compatible all these are. I'm pretty much a novice, but very willing to learn.

I really just want a tank full of interesting fish, not particularly colorful. Just not something you see in everybodies tank. I also plan on having it well planted with a lot of hiding spots, so hopefully everbody in the tank will be happy.

If you have any suggestions I am open for anything!

I am no expert, but..

I currently have about an 8" bichir. i have him living with 3 tinfoil barbs, 2 bala sharks, 1 white tip, 1 chocolate pleco, 1 rainbow fish, and two apple snails.

everyone seems pretty happy.

I feed him live crickets, shrimp pellets, beefheart, and super soft pellets. he really likes the crickets.

I can't stand crickets! haha i had a gecko and that was like the worst thing ever! lol I think my bichir will be fine with feeder fish and frozen food lol. The thought of crickets makes gives me the chills, its like the one thing that bothers me. Who knows why...

Ctenopoma go will with bichirs, snakeskin gouramis should be fine, large butterfly fish should be ok, but smaller ones might be at risk. For live foods that are fun....crayfish, earthworms, shrimp, small frogs.

rkilling1...mind that pleco...most plecos will, even though mostly well-behaved, rasp on the sides of bichirs from time to time, causing some very nasty damage to the ganoin and scales, often resulting in infections that are often quite serious.

Toirtis said:
rkilling1...mind that pleco...most plecos will, even though mostly well-behaved, rasp on the sides of bichirs from time to time, causing some very nasty damage to the ganoin and scales, often resulting in infections that are often quite serious.

i have noticed that. why do they do that? everyday around meal time the pleco starts to suck on the bichir. sorry to intrude on your post Japola44.

rkilling1 said:
Toirtis said:

i have noticed that. why do they do that? everyday around meal time the pleco starts to suck on the bichir. sorry to intrude on your post Japola44.

Something about the sedentary nature of the bichir and perhaps a particular smell/taste to the slime and scales.

well now i know not to get a pleco. My dad wanted me to get one, but i don't like them that much.

Thanks for the help, i just set up my 55 tonight, and the fish i listed before are proably what i am going to get. I will keep you updated on them once the tank is done cycling.

Back
Top Bottom