what is it with this hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

undercutter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm pretty new to aquarium hobby but the sheer amount of disinformation, ignorance and outright lies is mind bottling

they will tell you that you don't need to cycle your tank just add some bacteria from a bottle, they don't know anything about fish they are selling, they will sell you plants like mondo grass that can't survive under water, and that's at major chain stores

I don't think I've ever come across a business like that, how are they able to get away with it, is it because casual public just doesn't care?

Well some bottled bacteria does work, most don't though, at least not in the way people think they should.

Knowing about the fish is really the buyers problem, these chain stores are low paying and turnover a lot of employees, so I'm sure its hard to get someone really knowledgeable to stay aboard. Privately owned LFS seem to be a better source of information in general.

The plant thing is just economics. Certain plants like dracaena and mondo grass can survive under water for short periods, they just don't last for long. The reason they stock things like this is because they stay pretty on the shelf with minimal/no care and cost pennies on the dollar compared to true aquatic plants.

Well some bottled bacteria does work, most don't though, at least not in the way people think they should.

Knowing about the fish is really the buyers problem, these chain stores are low paying and turnover a lot of employees, so I'm sure its hard to get someone really knowledgeable to stay aboard. Privately owned LFS seem to be a better source of information in general.

The plant thing is just economics. Certain plants like dracaena and mondo grass can survive under water for short periods, they just don't last for long. The reason they stock things like this is because they stay pretty on the shelf with minimal/no care and cost pennies on the dollar compared to true aquatic plants.
I agree, it can be frustrating as I went through the same types of things when I started too. It boils down to the need to do your reseasrch and to also follow your gut. Remember that even private LFS need to sell but I would rather support them than the larger chains. You will find that advice can fall on opposite sides of the spectrum in the hobby. You'll get there with help from this site and time. Don't give up!

Ultimately, it comes down to the buyer being educated. You don't go to a car dealership expecting good advice on what car to buy, right? There are always those good stores (and dealerships)... but the majority are there to profit. If leaving out information, or making something sound better than it should gets more sales, then they've made their money. I don't hold that against stores. I know that ultimately, I'm the one responsible for my actions. If I buy something, I should be held accountable if I didn't do my research properly.

I think it has been summed up very well. Look for the standout LFS that doesn't employ those practices and then spread the word. Promotion of positives is usually more influential than criticism of negatives. As long as the mass merchant approach is taken, the service will be comparable in just about any industry for reasons already stated.

I totally agree with doing all the necessary research first. I thought that talking with the employees at the fish department would lead me in the right direction, but I was one of the multitude who were badly misinformed. All I can say is that I'm grateful for the internet and people like the teachers/coaches on this site. I can't get over the positive attitudes and patience I've seen while learning from AA. I truly appreciate everyone who has posted here. I have learned, and are definately still learning so much. :thanks:

Reactions: HN1
Word of mouth is by far and away the best (or worst) advertising for an lfs. It is very much a case of "buyer beware". Luckily these days we have access to a plethora of information via the internet so at least we don't have to spend daft amounts of time (or money) sifting through the million books there are on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom