What is my ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bix22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here's a picture I couldn't decipher if its 7.6 or off the charts. It is a maroon color in the high range test.

image-416509600.jpg

It doesn't seem to really match any color on the charts my tap ph is 7.8

The blue on the regular ph test looks really dark and the high range looks to be between 8.2 and 8.4 to me

I would say 8.2 to 8.4.
The regular pH test only goes to 7.6, so the blue one is higher than that. The high range pH is the one I would use all the time, the low range is wasting your time.

Is a ph that high livable for fish?

I am in week 3 of a fishless cycle will the ph drop when I eventually do a water change?

I would say its @8.4 or possibly higher because its definitely purple. 8.2 looks more of an odd brown/reddish color (not exactly on the chart either). Have you checked your tap water yet? Test it straight from the tap with both tests. Then set out a container of tap with an airstone or bubbler. If you dont have an extra, give the water a good stir every so often to release dissolved gasses. Check the ph (both tests) in about 24hrs. Let us know how these numbers look and we can figure out if its something to be concerned about or just part of your cycle.

It's high that's for sure. Higher then 8.4 or even 8.8 IMO. I'd re test right now and post results just to see.

Is your tap high? Did you buffer? How did it get s high and what fish are you keeping?

Re test...

What is buffer?

I have no fish in it I am doing a fishless cycle w ammonia. Week 3 no nitrites yet.

Here is my water straight from tap looks to be 7.8.

image-3367527550.jpg

What are your ammonia levels? Ammonia is very alkaline and may have upped your ph a bit as well as something in your tank. We need to see what the results are after the 24hr test for comparison and then go from there.

I have been keeping it at 4 ppm for the fishless cycle.

My 24 hr ph is 7.6

Is that with both the regular and high range tests? What type of substrate and decor do you have? If there's nothing that will affect your ph in your tank, I would just keep an eye things for now as long as your cycle is progressing.

Yes both tests

Gravel and fake plants decor

Maybe since the ammonia is maintaining high the ph is high?

What are your ammonia levels? Ammonia is very alkaline and may have upped your ph a bit as well as something in your tank. We need to see what the results are after the 24hr test for comparison and then go from there.

I don't think ammonia is going to jack up the pH like you described. Ammonia is basic, but ammonium is acidic; the ratio of the two is controlled by the pH. Even when adding straight ammonia to a tank (like in a fishless cycle), you're not going to see a significant pH change, and if you do it will be towards the more acidic end as the vast majority of ammonia will be in ammonium form. Increasing pH with ammonia would actually probably be pretty tough, as unionized ammonia is actually a gas (which is what smells so bad).

I agree though that something is in your tank raising pH. Have you added any locally acquired stone, or possibly using a special substrate?

I have a piece of driftwood in there I purchased from a pet store. I rinsed it thoroughly in hot water Otherwise just regular gravel from a bag, rinsed in hot water.

My ph is 8.2 will that hurt the fish? My lfs says there ph typically runs high too for their tanks so maybe that's a good thing for me?

My ph is 8.2 will that hurt the fish? My lfs says there ph typically runs high too for their tanks so maybe that's a good thing for me?

You should be fine as long as you take the time to acclimate your fish to their new water. If your lfs is running in a similar range, no worries!

Back
Top Bottom