What is the effect of Full Spectrum Lighting on a fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertmarda

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the forums of the Reptile Advice site I have been told that the 1 inch long turtle I have must have what is called Full Spectrum Lighting which will provide critically needed UVA and UVB light.

At this time I have my turtle in one of my fish tanks. Assuming I keep the turtle in a fish tank and get this lighting, does anyone know what this lighting will do to the fish and/or the tank? I am told that this is close to real sunlight, so one concern of mine is that this could increase the growth of algea. Two of my tanks have algea eaters so I doubt more algea would be a problem in those tanks. Will this lighting hurt the fish in any way? What about plants? Will this type of light heat the water more than normal aquarium lights?

At this time I have my turtle in one of my fish tanks. Assuming I keep the turtle in a fish tank and get this lighting, does anyone know what this lighting will do to the fish and/or the tank?

The light will have no effect on your fish whatsoever. As for the tank, as with any new bulb there is the chance you could get more algae.

I am told that this is close to real sunlight, so one concern of mine is that this could increase the growth of algea.

Depending on what you have as bulb now, it is probably very close to full spectrum lighting, if however it is the one supplied by the manufacturer of the light fixture, it is not a quality bulb.

Two of my tanks have algea eaters so I doubt more algea would be a problem in those tanks. Will this lighting hurt the fish in any way? What about plants?

You may see increased plant growth, they will appreciate a full spectrum light.

Will this type of light heat the water more than normal aquarium lights?

Unless you up the wattage, it is not likely the bulb will heat the water more.

I really have no clue as to what full spectrum lighting is. Are the long tube bulbs full spectrum lighting? When I turn them on they always flicker a bit before coming completely on.

What you describe are flourescent lights. That is a type of bulb, not an indicator of spectrum. Nearly any flourescent bulb intended for an aquarium that glows bright white will be a full spectrum bulb and should do nicely for your turtle. Triton is a good brand.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom