What is this fish species?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako_

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went to my LFS and I saw this one tank that had a few different species. One was a Black Ghost Knife fish while another one which I missed the name of it looked like a baby stingray mixed with a pleco a little bit. It had the wings of a sting ray but it was sucking on a piece of rock at the bottom of the tank like a Pleco does on the glass. The fish was so small that it would only cover the center of your palm. I wish I payed more attention to the name because the fish interests me. Does anyone know what this fish is called?

Not very big. About 2 inches is what I've seen. They are way cool lil guys though. I'm in the process of making a river tank for them. *Sigh* Once I get the other 2 tanks set up that is. Eeesh.

Would you reccomend these guys to a begginner aquarium owner? And what are all the fish that they are compatible with? Obviously they have to work well with Black Ghost Knife fish since they were in the tank with one at my LFS.

They're a cooler water fish. What size tank would you be putting it in? If its a smaller tank you could do something like white cloud minnows with one...

BGK can get 18 + inches so it would need a large tank. As for compatibility, I wouldn't suggest it. The LFS keeps them together because they know one will sell before a problem arises. BGKs will eat anything they can get their mouth on.

I'd love to have some hillstream loaches, although I don't know anywhere that sells em nor do I have a place to keep them haha.

A1, time for a new tank then. ;)

There's only one place I've found them out here and I already told them they better keep them in stock for me.

Oh. Then BGK is out of the story if I do end up getting a hillstream loach. I am planning on getting a 55G or more tank. 55G is the minimum I am aiming for. But even if I get a 55G, I am going to work on getting more tanks as a upgrade. The link that you gave me said that Goldfish do well with Hillstream Loaches.

lol, I know right. Except I don't have enough room for another tank haha. O well... I do have my 10g qt.... haha.

Yes, they have the same water requirements. And so do the white clouds like mfd suggested. I'm planning white clouds, hillstreams, red cherry shrimp and pygmy corys.

Are Hillstreams considered Plecos or Sting rays? If not, what species are they from?

Yeah. The BGK is a cool fish but I am not planning on getting them anytime soon. Actually, I can't get any fish until I get a bigger tank and I cycle it through and have everything set up and prepared.

Ok good! Glad to hear you are going to do things the right way, not the opposite way like I did. ;) I did have a BGK, but he went through too much, and didn't make it. :(

Back
Top Bottom