What it this guy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

REDCHEVYBLAZER

Aquarium Advice Regular
I cannot figure out what he is.

Plus, is he okay for a 10 gallon tank with a lyretail sword? That's all I have in there right now. What does he eat? etc.

The quicker I get him outta the bag the better so any info is great! Thanks!

Attachments

• 1360789060750.jpg
    1360789060750.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 1360789078465.jpg
    1360789078465.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 92
I cannot figure out what he is.

Plus, is he okay for a 10 gallon tank with a lyretail sword? That's all I have in there right now. What does he eat? etc.

The quicker I get him outta the bag the better so any info is great! Thanks!

Go to any creek and turn over some rocks and you will find many of those. That is what I think it is. Looks like what we call in the south as a crawdad. Not sure if you would want to have that in a community or not.

Mmmm grow him out and season him cajun style.

Did you catch him or buy him?
Crawdads are known fin nippers and I started a thread asking about them in a community tank a while ago and everyone said my fish would end up eaten eventually.

They do best in species only tanks, and he may outgrow the 10 eventually

I used to catch these when I was a kid. They are opportunistic feeders. Plants, fish food, live or dead fish, each other (they are especially vulnerable after molting).

That's a crayfish. They will eat any fish they can catch and they'll eat anything you put in the tank. I had one in a 10 gallon that got a little under seven inches long. He's now in a 29 gallon with a fellow crayfish friend. I feed mine algae tabs, frozen sweet peas, rosy red minnows, fish flakes (for the minnows), bloodworms, and freeze dried shrimp. They get a very large variety of food and they've been alive for almost a year now so I'm doing something right :) If you have any questions just pm me and I'll help the best I can.

Back
Top Bottom