What do you guys make of this behavior? (short vid)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluetech

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So this is my rubberlip pleco and a red tailed shark, I'm not sure if he's playing or not, doesn't seem to be nipping at the pleco but he does like to bother him, sometimes the pleco will chase him a bit also. Anyway is this something to be concerned about?

The red tailed shark will get more territorial and aggressive as it gets older and may not tolerate anything that occupies the bottom of the tank, especially if the tank isnt big enough for the 2 fish to find their own space.

The shark doesnt look very big at the moment. However the plecos armour might keep it safe, and if it grows big enough to look after itself it might be the one to establish dominance.

It's a territorial threat display from the shark telling the catfish to go away. It's interesting to watch but in 12 months it could get physical and one will lose out.

Had the shark for about a year already, they are the only 2 fish in a 20 gallon tank, anything I can do to stop this? I thought the tank would be plenty big for just them atm

Only thing I can think of is, I could move the pleco to my other 20 that has mainly neons and a clown pleco also, both of these plecos stay small but not sure if they would get along

Aiken nailed it I believe, your tank is too small for the redtail shark to share with another bottom fish. They are very territorial. If you move the pleco into your other tank, just make sure there are multiple places for him to hide in so he's not competition for the existing clown pleco. (y)

I never even see the clown pleco to be honest, he's always hiding in this barrel ornament in the tank. The only time I see him is when I clean the tank. What would be a good tank mate for this shark then? I've read danios or tetras, but I kinda feel like he would give them a hard time.

I never even see the clown pleco to be honest, he's always hiding in this barrel ornament in the tank. The only time I see him is when I clean the tank. What would be a good tank mate for this shark then? I've read danios or tetras, but I kinda feel like he would give them a hard time.

Fish that occupy the upper regions of the tank. Stay away from fish that occupy the middle or bottom of the tank.
Plecos by nature are hiders so it's not unusual that you don't see them much. While not true nocturnal fish, according to Planet Catfish, " the only plecos that are completely diurnal are the vegetarian algae grazers of the genera Farlowella, Sturisoma, Hemiloricaria and Otocinclus etc.".

Any recommendations for the upper region fish? Was researching a bit on killifish but I don't know if they are a good mix, plus I'd rather get smaller fish to have some activity in the tank

Any recommendations for the upper region fish? Was researching a bit on killifish but I don't know if they are a good mix, plus I'd rather get smaller fish to have some activity in the tank

Is this a 20 gallon high tank ( 24" long ) or a 20 gallon long tank ( 30" long)?

Consider fish Like Platies ( if you get males only, you won't have to worry about the tank getting over populated) , Paradise fish, Harliquin Rasboras, African Butterfly fish, Thick lip Gourami, ( Stay away from the dwarf gouramis : Dwarf, Powder blue, flame, etc because of the iridio virus), Belonosox, Betta or Silver Hatchetfish. These all basically stay close to the surface. (y)

Consider fish Like Platies ( if you get males only, you won't have to worry about the tank getting over populated) , Paradise fish, Harliquin Rasboras, African Butterfly fish, Thick lip Gourami, ( Stay away from the dwarf gouramis : Dwarf, Powder blue, flame, etc because of the iridio virus), Belonosox, Betta or Silver Hatchetfish. These all basically stay close to the surface. (y)

This tank actually started out with all dwarf gourami but yeah they always ended up being sickly and no matter what I tried I could not help them, so I decided to try other things

Do all Rasboras stay near the top? The emerald dwarf or galaxy rasboras look kinda interesting

Do all Rasboras stay near the top? The emerald dwarf or galaxy rasboras look kinda interesting

Stay away from the really small rasboras or microdanios. Good food looking fish for the shark :eek: ( although it probably wouldn't actually eat them. They do eat worms and insects so elongated fish can be mistaken for food. ) Harlequins are about the smallest Rasboras you can put in a 20 high but should be in a school of at least 6-8. Harlequins are more triangular shaped so show a non edible profile.

You could get rid of the shark. That would solve the problem.

I'd feel pretty terrible having to do that, trying to look into other options to make things work. I do like the shark don't get me wrong and I know hes just doing his thing, so I'm just trying to make all parties a happy comfortable enviroment :)

I'd feel pretty terrible having to do that, trying to look into other options to make things work. I do like the shark don't get me wrong and I know hes just doing his thing, so I'm just trying to make all parties a happy comfortable enviroment :)
That's fine. The issue is you have a territorial fish in a small tank which means he has a large territory. When I used to import the small ones, even in the bag, in the dark during shipping, the small ones ( 1 1/2" -1 3/4") always came in with shredded fins. They just don't like other red tail sharks or fish in their territories. :eek:

I originally had 2 red tailed sharks in the tank cause the woman at the store was like "oh yeah they get along fine..." So now I only have one.

Back
Top Bottom