What Kind of Snail is This?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyanRan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am curious to figure out what kind of snails these are. They were in a planted tank at the store and needless to say they have reproduced like MAD.

Attachments

• image-1271623300.jpg
    image-1271623300.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 142
  • image-3592857791.jpg
    image-3592857791.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 128
Yeah they aren't a problem for me! I don't have a pleco in there right now, so they are eating the algae.

It appears to be a Malaysian Trumpet Snail. They live in the substrate and aerate it during the day and they come out of the substrate to forage in the late evening and at night. When it gets light in the morning they go back into the substrate. They are livebearers and IMO are good snails. You can get alot of them if you have available food sources so be careful about overfeeding. I keep these snails in all my planted tanks.

EDIT: In the 1st picture you actually have pond snails which I don't want in my tanks. The second picture is the MTS. You can tell MTS snails as they have the pointy cone shaped shells.

I have a ridiculous amount of them in my tank. It's crazy. I'm not sure about the living in the substrate part. They are always on the glass and on the rocks.

I have a ridiculous amount of them in my tank. It's crazy. I'm not sure about the living in the substrate part. They are always on the glass and on the rocks.

The MTS should be going in the substrate unless the gravel size is too large. If you don't like any of the snails you can always get a couple of assissin snails but then you won't be able to put any type of snail in the tank once they are introduced.

Those are pond snails...and they do reproduce like mad. Squish them as babies if you see them small and your fish will eat the squished stuff. If you over feed, they will take over your tank.

Cut a 20 oz soda bottle in half so the top half will invert into the bottom half. Put cucumber in the bottom of the bottom half and put the top half in the bottom half. Secure together with fishing line. I make the line long enough that it will hang over the top edge of the tank while the bottom sits on the bottom of the tank so I don't have to put my hands in the water all the time, just lift it by the fishing line. Put it in the tank and wait. The snails will go in the bottle and not be able to come back out.

Also remove any you see by hand. Look for jelly looking things on your glass and squish those...those are eggs. And mostly do not over feed your fish

Foods I've found that attract snails the best are algae wafers, sinking shrimp pellets, and zucchini softened in the microwave and weighted down.

Get a few assassin snails if you want to get rid of them

Back
Top Bottom