what should i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also have 3 BPs, as does my husband. Although BPs are very slow growing, they can and do reach dinner plate size. If you intend to keep them, you really need to consider upgrading your tank to a minimum of 75 gallons. At that point, I can see you keeping perhaps a schooling species with them, but not in a 55. BPs will and do (I've unfortunately witnessed it) eat any fish that fits into their mouths. You need to be careful to not purchase too small of a schooling species. :flowers:

I mean thats what I hear too, about the hatchetfish. Shouldn't be a problem if you have a good hood. But for the tetras i personally have albino buenes Aries tetras. But I think a nice school of bleeding hearts, or perhaps some penguin tetras. But yea I agree, once the parrots get some size you should definitely consider upgrading to a larger tank.

Every other day? Wow you should prob increase that. To once a day. Every other day is way to long

I feed my BPs and all of my fish every 2-3 days. They are fine and healthy. If the OP chooses to feed every other day, the fish will do fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fish can easily go a week with no food. I do it to avoid illness and to help keep the tank clean. Since I went on this schedule, I haven't had a sick fish and my readings have been perfect.

I think you could feed them six times a week. But if you choose every other day you should be fine too I guess. You have a bioload problem it should be better everyother day.

Which ever you choose is fine.

LyndaB said:
Fish can easily go a week with no food. I do it to avoid illness and to help keep the tank clean. Since I went on this schedule, I haven't had a sick fish and my readings have been perfect.

Well maybe do a water change and take care of your tank. And you also do have issues.

I feed once a day EVERY day and I have never had any type of illness or bad readings. My tank is over stocked and I have no tank issues. I do about at 70% water change once a week.

I'm sorry but once a week to feed your fish is absolutely ridiculous.

Off topic posts have been deleted. Please refrain from any further arguing or off topic posting, or this thread will be locked. The topic of this thread relates to the bioload, stocking, and feeding of the OP's fish- NOT the ethics of manmade fish.

I wouldn't add an angel for sure. A small pleco would be a better idea. Once your 3 BP and small pleco grow out to adult size, they will pretty much stock your 90 IMO. It will take years, but they do get large.

fishboy87 said:
Well they are in a 55gal right now... So your telling me that 3bps and a pleco should be good without me havin to upgrade my tank for at least a couple more years???

The will need a 90 so it's best to get it as soon as you can, that way once setup and the fish are in you don't have to worry about you fishies health and happiness :)

Well maybe do a water change and take care of your tank. And you also do have issues.

I'm sorry but once a week to feed your fish is absolutely ridiculous.

Since you quoted me, I have to believe your response was aimed at me. I do weekly water changes. I'm not sure what you're getting at where you indicate that I don't take care of my tank and that I have issues. Care to elaborate?

And also, I didn't say that I feed once per week. If you visit the threads here that talk about vacations and feeding, many fishkeepers will indicate that the fish will be fine for a week without food. I feed mine every 2-3 days.

Back
Top Bottom