What should I do with my setup...? Please advise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zero2dash

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
(View my tank in my gallery please.)

I'm sorta at a standstill.

My tank has been dormant for a good year or so now; other than fish casualties, nothing's really changed in terms of visual appeal. I'm wanting to re-jump into the hobby/lifestyle and man there's so many options out there for me it's making it harder than it should be. ;)

Originally - I was just going to get more (new) fish. Probably wind up with a majority of gourami, maybe end up with an even # of a few different kinds (maybe like 6 total blue, 6 total orange or another type, a few angels, pleco or two, maybe a couple loaches or a ghost knife). Last night I ended up having to buy some more substrate because my bendable air piping came out from under the gravel and needed some more 'bulk' to hold it down. All Petco (the closest pet store to me) had was one measly bag of the stuff I wanted which was like a 4# bag. Bleh.

Now though my heater's busted (won't turn on) so my poor blue gourami is spending tonight @ a chilly 70* degrees; I'm purchasing a new heater today after the stores open.

Ok -
what all have I thought of tonight? Hmm.

1) Should I get real plants again? I tried it once before, but didn't know too much about it and the plant lasted a few months, then turned brown, so I went back to plastic. I've read a lot off this site (great site btw) tonight and learned more, like "eh if I want real plants I've gotta invest in higher wattage bulbs" etc. Real plants look...well...awesome but I don't know if I'm willing to really really get nuts with real plants and cover 3/4 of the tank with 'em. Then again - that looks really really cool so maybe I would, I dunno.

2) On the subject of plants..it seems like many people (from the galleries at least is what I gather) like lots and lots of real plants with minimal 'anything else'. Some rocks/stones or driftwood but not much. Is *this* a good way to go?

3) I thought about getting a new substrate but it seems like that will involve a lot of work (if I'm gonna be smart about it and not have spiking nitrates etc). Half a change here, half a change there. If I wanted to get real plants it seems like I'd need smaller substrate anyhow...I initially figured standard "natural" colors but then again I've seen a few tanks with white substrate that looked real sharp (MoxieGrrrl's tank in particular; nice job btw).

4) Or -
should I just leave it as is? What do you people think?

5) Finally - and while this is sorta a broad question, it covers all the above -

no matter what I do...what do you all recommend I do in what order...say for instance, I'm assuming if I'm going to get new substrate and/or new plants, I should do that and wait a few weeks before adding fish...? Y/N?

I think the # of possibilities is what's killing me :D

I'm not an aquarium newbie by any means but the majority of my life (I'm 26 now, I've had several 10gal tanks and one 29gal tank, various fish from community to aggressive, 1/4" tetras to 6" oscars) I've cared for tanks with just "wishful thinking" at least in terms of real plants, what substrate to use, etc. Now after reading over this site and finding out the real answers and the real techniques to it all...oy vey much more complicated/thought provoking than I'd ever think (but not overly so).

TIA for any help/suggestions :)

:D Welcome to AA zero. You don't need alot of expensive high tech equipment if you select the right plants. Low light plants are easier to maintain and I would suggest starting with those before you spend the bucks.

Plants like java fern, anubias, and crypts will do well in your tank. My advice is to start with these types of plants before you go changing your substrate or spending big bucks. :wink:

Here's a pic of my low light 55g

Suggest you hold off on more fish. Start replacing substrate now -- great article on this site. Do sections, and as you remove old substrate -- I found it best to scoop out old substrate and let it slope to bare glass, then fill with new substrate lowered in zip-lock bags -- fill the new section with the low light plants Brian suggested. As the plants grow, your landscape will change. You can fill out your tank with trimmings. Replacing substrate in sections minimize the chance of spikes. I've no doubt a planted tank will be more interesting.

I think you search the forum for gourami experiences. From what I have read, 12 is far too many for a 55g. When considering new fish, I suggest taking time to watch bottom dwellers at your LFS, especially corys and loaches. I think they are some of the most interesting fish I've seen.

re: Decor. From what I've observed, I think fish appreciate a natural enviornment, especially rubbing against and eating off live plants, but of course I don't know.

Hope this helps.

Hi Zero and welcome to AA! I recently asked this question also and was advised (as Brian suggests) to get Java Ferns. I've been using artificial since I began and I also want the "natural" look. Unfortunately, none of the LFS I frequent have them in at the moment :(

Let me supply you with the thread regarding my question and maybe it will help you.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=37509

Good luck!

If you dont want the hastle of the lighting and co2 that live plants need you could always go with silk palnts instead of plastic.
They look real and are easyer in my opinion.

Low light plants are easy. As long as you're not using a plain screw-in incandescent light , you'll have success with java ferns, moss, and most anubias and crypt species. If you change the water every week you won't even have to worry about a fertilizer.

people that keep planted tanks (like me) feel that we've put so much time into real plants for a 'natural' environment, that we refuse to add plastic castles, or airstone driven treasure chests. neither of these is common in tropical lakes and streams ;)

I'd avoid fish purchases right now...figure out the substrate thing first, then your direction on the tank (planted or not, and if planted, what types, lighting, etc)

zero2dash said:
3) I thought about getting a new substrate but it seems like that will involve a lot of work (if I'm gonna be smart about it and not have spiking nitrates etc). Half a change here, half a change there. If I wanted to get real plants it seems like I'd need smaller substrate anyhow...I initially figured standard "natural" colors but then again I've seen a few tanks with white substrate that looked real sharp (MoxieGrrrl's tank in particular; nice job btw).

8O Woah! I got props for my tank? Woot me! :D

I know what you mean about the number of possibilities. I thought I would go nuts trying to decide what color substrate I wanted. I'm more attracted to darker colors, but I have to say that after I saw some tanks with black gravel, it just didn't look right. Here's the link to the website where I got it: http://www.thatpetplace.com/Product...ravel/T1/F43+0611+0015/EDP/1293/Itemdy00.aspx - you can see it's actually a very light natural color with a shiny pearlescense.

I would definitely wait for fish until you decide what you want to do... I know I would definitely have waited much longer to get fish if I was going to use live plants. I'm just not that adventurous my first time at aquariums lol!

I really like your tank, though :) Can't wait to see what you do with it :)

Back
Top Bottom