What the...?!? Perfect water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so I left for a week-long vacation on December 24 and did a major water change on my tanks that day right before I left. I returned on January 2 to major green and brown algae outbreaks, and also to find out that my fishie-sitter had to net & flush a couple of fish (but that wasn't a surprise...they were looking like old age could take them at any time). Because of what looked to be horribly messy tanks, I had planned on doing major water changes the next day.

But, of course, the next day I got horribly sick and have been slowly recovering ever since...preventing me from doing water changes and cleaning up the tanks.

Why am I telling you about my last 2.5 weeks, you ask?

I finally forced myself to test the water tonight and see just how bad everything was. This is the weird part...after 2.5 weeks without water change, a major algae break-out, and dead fish, my water parameters were:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5

So has my strict weekly water change schedule been a waste of time? That's the kind of reading I'd expect right after a water change...I just don't get it...

Thoughts?

Green algae occurs if the tank is getting too much light. Is the light on a timer? Was it left on the whole time you were gone? To get rid of it, cut down on the light and keep doing water changes till it's gone. Brown algae - like fish poop - just happens. Fortunately, like fish poop, it's relatively easy to remove.

Obviously, your fish-sitter did a good job by not overfeeding, or else you would have seen bad water quality. If she removed the dead fish promtly, they wouldn't have had a chance to mess up your water parameters either.

Occasionally, I miss a scheduled weekly water change, and a few days slide by before I get a chance to do one. I've never had a problem as a result, but I generally stick to my schedule. I suspect that your tank is stable and not overstocked, and that's why the skipped water change didn't spell disaster. I would keep up with your weekly water changes just because they seem to be working for you and you seem to have a stable, healthy tank.

QTOFFER said:
I suspect that your tank is stable and not overstocked, and that's why the skipped water change didn't spell disaster. I would keep up with your weekly water changes just because they seem to be working for you and you seem to have a stable, healthy tank.

I agree and that's what I thought of too. Doing weekly water changes and having a healthy tank is probably what allowed you to skip a week without running into problems.

I hope you're feeling better!

Doing weekly water changes and having a healthy tank is probably what allowed you to skip a week without running into problems.
I agree. Plus, you must have a great bacterial bed :D

Agree with all the advice here Sara. :D Changing water also removes alot of the dissolved organic compounds in the water column. In nature the water is continually being replenished. That doesn't happen in our aquariums that doesn't happen in our aquariums unless we do it for them.

I always think of it this way...... Our fish live in their own toilet (not very pleasant). Every water change is like giving it a good flush.

:wink:

Thanks for the opinions, everyone! Not to worry, I'll keep up with my weekly water changes - I wouldn't get out of that habit...it would end up being disastrous (especially keeping in mind BrianNY's toilet reference :? )

QTOFFER, the lighting is on a timer for 12 hours a day, and I suppose that I can really cut that back if I need to. I think that the main culprit is that fact that the tank is close to my big balcony window - definitely not ideal, but in a small apartment I only have so many locations to choose from. As for the feeding while I was gone, I portioned off everything into ziplock baggies and dated them so there would be no confusion! :D

An t-iasgThanks! While I wouldn't exactly say that I'm feeling better, I'm definitely getting there. The -40 weather this morning certainly doesn't help though...

As for the feeding while I was gone, I portioned off everything into ziplock baggies and dated them so there would be no confusion!
:eek2:
Kudos to you for being prepared and patient enough to do that!!

Sara said:
So has my strict weekly water change schedule been a waste of time? That's the kind of reading I'd expect right after a water change...I just don't get it...

Thoughts?

Most people here would crucify me for this answer, but, yes. I make discretionary water changes in my SW tank. I don't change water just for the sake of changing water.

I had a 44 gallon FW tank with 9 silver dollars and NEVER changed the water in about 2 years. I cleaned the canister out about every 6-8 months. Never had a fish die in that tank as a matter of fact. They were alsways healthy and active.

If you had a serious algae outbreak, it could be that the "caretaker" accidentally left the lights on 24/7. I was gone for a week and the person watching my SW tank turned the timer lights "on" rather than "on/auto" and toasted the corals for 7 straight days. when I got home, I couldn't see into the tank through the algae on the front glass.

Clown Monarch said:
Sara said:

Thoughts?

Most people here would crucify me for this answer, but, yes. I make discretionary water changes in my SW tank. I don't change water just for the sake of changing water.

I had a 44 gallon FW tank with 9 silver dollars and NEVER changed the water in about 2 years. I cleaned the canister out about every 6-8 months. Never had a fish die in that tank as a matter of fact. They were alsways healthy and active.

Yep. You get crucified. This is like the guy who smokes 3 packs of cigs and lives to 90 telling people smoking can't hurt you.

hey sara, clad to see another E-town member here. The weather has sucked this last week and I know alot of folks are dealing with the flu too right now. Must be going around. Just out of curiousity, where do buy most of your supplies/equipment here in town?

Hi Mazdaman!

I buy most of my supplies from Big Al's by default - not having a car makes it difficult to get to most of our LFSs and I have to go where the selection is largest. If I can, however, I'd rather buy my supplies from Dad's Fish Room, which is just off Whyte and 99th. I buy all of my fish from Dad's as well.

You might also want to check out the Alberta Aquatica board (http://s6.invisionfree.com/AlbertaAquatica/index.php?act=idx) for used equipment and, of course if you haven't already, be sure to join the Canada forum on this board!

Hope this helps![/url]

Back
Top Bottom