What type of snail is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm sure this is just your run of the mill snail but I figured since he was in a position for me to take a decent picture I'd try and see if I could figure out what type of snails magically showed up in my tank :p

snail.jpg

It is a ramshorn snail. It could have hitchhiked on some plants or even when you got some fish.

I don't know the name, but they do a pretty good jon on cleaning up dead fishes at the bottom. I have them in my 10gal tank, and once every while some little guppies dead, and cuz I have them, I don't even need to clean that dead fish out, the ghost shrimp and these snails do all the cleaning for me.

and they r good food for puffers too XP

Yeah I'm pretty sure they came in when I got plants or maybe even the driftwood I got they've been there since the tank was cycling. I don't mind them and their numbers aren't too bad. I'm hoping the weather loaches will keep the numbers in check, I was just curious what type they were. Thanks :)

yeps...that's a ramshorn alright. They can be red or brown and are very good little cleaners. They can multiply like nobody's business with excess food...so they are a good indicator of needing a good vacuuming. Or if you never see them get crazy, they are a good indicator that you are keeping things clean :).

Some consider them a nuisance...all depends on the tank and your own preferences.

I was wondering if this guy is a ramshorn as well. Sorry for the crappy picture quality. Battery is dead on my good camera :p It's kind of hard to tell but he's white with black speckles. If it's too hard to tell I can try to get a better picture next time he's out and about.

snail2.jpg

yes pond snail. you should be able to tell they have a different shape then the ramshorn.

Back
Top Bottom