What's heating up my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad S

Aquarium Advice Regular
tank info: 60g glass; Cascade 1000 canister filter; AquaClear power head; Timed 30w fluorescent tube light. (on 4, off 2, on 2, off night); Brand new 200w theo heater. (I never see the light come on); 5 Tin Foils, 1 Comet and a snail.

This has been going on for a while now. Even when the outside temp has been much lower. I've changed (bought a new canister) the filter and the heater so I don't think it can be them. The temp moves around between 75 and 82 and sometimes it stays stable at whatever. I thought it must have been the heater and replaced it but no change. I've put another digital thermometer in and they read the same. It's sitting beside a window but does not get direct sunlight. The wall feels cool to the touch. Window stays closed and doesn't leak. Current outside temp is 91, room temp is about 70, tank is 79.3 degrees. There's no other heat source I know of around it so... :confused::confused::confused: I'd like to keep it around 75 (and it did stay down there a few days ago) so the Comet isn't too hot and the Foils aren't too cold. I can't see it being the heater (two in a row?) but I think I'll unplug it and see what happens. Still, any thoughts? What am I missing?

Is it getting indirect sunlight during the day? If it's near a window, that could be the case. The room and the wall may be cool, but the solar energy can collect in the tank.

It's sitting beside a window but does not get direct sunlight.

he said the tank does not...
i suspect the light bulbs are doing the work...
i also have a similar problem with my tank
the temp. of my tank goes up above 82F and it is because my place get really hot in the summer as the design of the place does not allow enough ventillation and i am very reluctant to turn on the AC because i am cheap

i was thinking of placing a small fan directed at my tank to keep it cool
can someone chime on about this idea? stupid? makes sense?

Lighting can do it. The tank's lights or even room lighting can heat up the room enough where the tank starts to warm up.

If your tank is upstairs heat does rise.

If your house/building is brick. It will retain the heat then leach it into the house.

Heaters can be bad from the box. (Need to return 2 myself) Or it can be a bit to chilly and the heater thinks it must come on.

A fan can help, make sure it's an oscillating one. That way it moves the room air, not just in one spot.

Our problem is our basement. My boyfriend is a computer geek and runs his own servers. Our computer room is always about 90 friggin degrees. So the entire basement is about 85. Even with the AC set at 73. Plus our house is brick. When the sun starts to go down the house heats up.

Even running your AC, keeping the house at around 70 there are many other factors to consider, like those above. When I'm setting a heater I put it in a bucket. Try that, see if you can't get it to just below the temp you want then put it in the tank. See if that helps keep the water just right.

Lighting can do it. The tank's lights or even room lighting can heat up the room enough where the tank starts to warm up.

If your tank is upstairs heat does rise.

If your house/building is brick. It will retain the heat then leach it into the house.

Heaters can be bad from the box. (Need to return 2 myself) Or it can be a bit to chilly and the heater thinks it must come on.

A fan can help, make sure it's an oscillating one. That way it moves the room air, not just in one spot.
All good things to consider. I unplugged the heater yesterday and current tank temp is 79.7 degrees. No change. My building is brick and only the tank against the outside wall overheats so that sounds like a likely culprit. Maybe I need a heat shield behind the tank? A piece of sheet rock should make a pretty good shield don't you think? I could even put pictures on it. ha, ha

To answer others questions: The tank is beside the window and can't get even indirect sunlight. It's back is against the brick wall so that might be heating it up though. Sort of the same idea.

The light is only on 5 hrs total a day (last message incorrect: 2 on, 4 off, 3 on, off for night.) Still, I'll try killing the light too and see what happens.

Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

Update: I've had the heater and lights disconnected for the last few days and the temp is currently 82.01 degrees. Guess that's proof positive it's the heat radiating off of the wall behind the tank. Yeah, it's been getting up to 94 outside here lately. Ugh... Well, time to make some sort of heat shield. I was thinking about putting a piece of sheet rock maybe behind the tank. Just put some slats between it and the wall and that should pretty much stop the heat I think. I could paint it any color I want or put a picture on it too. A lot of fooling around though. Anybody got a simpler idea?

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom