What's the best bottom dweller substrate out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vialznk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi AA

I have a half year old 29g SE Asian planted biotope tank with 6 harlequin rasboras so far. I am stocking VERY slowly and right now I just have red volcano Eco Complete as substrate (btw the plants are absolutely flourishing in it. No pun intended :lol:) I also love bottom dwellers! This whole time I've felt that something's missing in my tank.I plan to have it as a community SE Asian and I want to add a thin layer of bottom dweller substrate.
So I was wondering what do the guys at AA usually use for bottom dweller friendly substrate?

PS: I am particularly interested in red color substrate to reflect the iron rich rivers of Thailand, but any input is very appreciated. It'll give me ideas for future tanks :D

What bottom dwellers are you thinking of? I haven't had problems using eco complete with my corys or BN pleco. As long as it's not sharp or rough, it should be okay.

--Adeeb

Well this is a SE Asian biotope and it's a 29 gallon. So I was thinking some dwarf loaches or kuhli loaches. They're small enough to be a school in a tank that small. Besides I've heard that loaches have very sensitive bottoms so I don't want to gamble fish health with just putting them in my tank. My substrate is the Eco Complete volcanic version. It's a bit porous and looks very rough. Don't want to take any chances.

Its CaribSea Floramax Volcanic Red to be precise.

Well, I really don't want to put a prefilter on my fluval 305 tho, but I am not throwing out sand as a possible option.

Anyone else? You're welcome to opine.

Back
Top Bottom