What's the best way to move a large fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlebeau

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've found a new home for my 11" pleco. I bought him when he was little and the only time I moved him was from one tank to another using a bucket.

I now need to remove him from the tank and transport him across town to his new home. It's about a 20 min trip.

Any suggestions?

Cooler? As long as it's clean, that's probably your best bet since it would be large enough, and would even be insulted. Otherwise, I think you are stuck with the bucket. He will probably be a little cramped in the bucket, but it isn't a long trip.

I have an 12in pleco also and when i had to move him he seemed fine in a 5gal plastic bucket with a water tight lid....for a 10 mile move.
Home Depot is a good place to get the bucket with lid

You can aerate the bucket with a battery operated airpump. They sell some pretty good size buckets at wallmart.

thanks everyone, now I just need to figure out how to get him out of the tank and into the bucket...

Make sure your net is big enough! The net should be quite a bit bigger than the fish. I'd take all the decorations that are in the way out of the tank so he doesn't hurt himself on them and you have more room to work. With all the stuff out of the tank he should be easy to net with a big net.

When I moved my 12" pair I had to break down the tank to about 6" of water. Then I would trap them with a large bucket and transport them to a cooler. The cooler held both nicely and they went on to live long happy lives...

When I move, all tank decor comes out, then 90% of the water, then time to catch the fish. My husband doesn't mind catching the larger plecos with his hands, but I prefer a net. Whatever method you use, make sure the container the pleco is going into is close by.

hand is the best way to go even though u may not like it. the nets are bad for the plecos because there scaley bodies rip up the net usually and it may damage there scales. they cant hurt u or anything and they arnt slimey at all so it really isnt that bad catching them with your hands

Back
Top Bottom