Whats the difference in DI water compared to RO water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kohan Bros.

Aquarium Advice Freak
What exactly is pulled out of the water that makes it DI or RO? Why do aquarist liKe to use it? Is there a difference between distiled water and DI water?

Could someone please answer my questions or give me a link that would be helpful.

In my tanks at home i use RO/DI in my salt and fresh water tanks, but at my highschool where i now take care of three freshwater tanks i can only get my hands on distiled and DI water.

I am really confused and need help. TIA

Deionized water is cleansed of dissolved positively charged (sodium, calcium, magnesium, iron, and copper) or negatively charged (chloride and fluoride) ions. This is done by passing the water through a bed of chemically charged plastic beads that trap the contaminants. It isn't very good at removing particulate matter or uncharged molecules.
Distilled water is heated to its boiling point, and the water vapor is collected and condensed by cooling. This removes most particulates and salts, but not volatile organic contaminants, or dissolved gases like chlorine.
Water that has been both deionized and distilled is pretty pure for most applications.

Reverse osmosis involves passing water through a specialized filter at extremely high pressure. The filter is designed to only permit passage of water molecules. This water is essentially free of particulates, salts, organic molecules, and dissolved gases. It's probably the closest to absolutely pure water you can get, and is used for the most demanding applications.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom