When selling/giving away your fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
What questions do you ask people/friends who are interested in buying/adopting one of your fish/babies/juvies? Just wondering what the general ethics are/should be...
For example me putting my Molly Juvie's up on Craigslist... What are the general questions I should ask besides tank size and tank mates?
I'm thinking asking if the person knows about cycling would be overstepping it for something you're selling for $1... HOWEVER... you/I don't want to sell my hand raised babies to a toilet box to die in either!

Comments/suggestions please!!

Honestly i dont know if it is a great idea to sell your mollys on craigslist. Didnt you sell them to a store?? I would definitly do that again. The sad reality is, many people breed mollys/guppys/ other live bearers just so the young can be used as feeder fish. I think if you sold your mollys on craigslist they could possibly become feeder fish... :(

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Honestly i dont know if it is a great idea to sell your mollys on craigslist. Didnt you sell them to a store?? I would definitly do that again. The sad reality is, many people breed mollys/guppys/ other live bearers just so the young can be used as feeder fish. I think if you sold your mollys on craigslist they could possibly become feeder fish... :(

To prevent the feeder issue I sell them for $1... Feeders here are .10 .... So someone looking for a feeder would spend that on it I wouldn't think..
I did sell to a store... They bought for .40 each.. 25/$10.
After that mass loss I don't have enough yet... 80 dead fish sure wiped out almost everything but my adults and newborns who were in separate tanks...

What I ask generally when I've rehomed fish on Craigslist was tank size, tank mates...

My CAE went to a 110g, 2 guppies to a 40g, a platy to a 150g...
I have them bring a container and meet them out front of my building and then pour fish an water into their container.
The takers so far have ironically been teenagers dragging their parents behind them.
The person who called for my mollies today want them for a tank for their kid.

Wondering what else I should be asking people.. Or what would really turn people away from being too nosy..

i ask them to send me a couple a pics every few weeks. most people don't want to go thru all that trouble so they decline. the ppl that are still interested and know that they'll take good care of em stay and accept that responsibility :) i've rehomed a lot of platy babies with this method

JokerWx13 said:
i ask them to send me a couple a pics every few weeks. most people don't want to go thru all that trouble so they decline. the ppl that are still interested and know that they'll take good care of em stay and accept that responsibility :) i've rehomed a lot of platy babies with this method

Ohhh good idea! What do you do if they say they died?
How old are your platies when you sell? My plates are TINY slow growers

i nurse them for a few weeks to a month until theyre big enough that my swordtail doesnt eat them. i dont give them any special treatment tho, its an eat or be eaten world in my fish tank :/ anyway, if it died after a short time and they say they didnt mean it, i wouldnt sell to them again even if it was an accident. on the other hand, if one of the people had my platy for a pretty long time, i would encourage them to buy more lol

JokerWx13 said:
i nurse them for a few weeks to a month until theyre big enough that my swordtail doesnt eat them. i dont give them any special treatment tho, its an eat or be eaten world in my fish tank :/ anyway, if it died after a short time and they say they didnt mean it, i wouldnt sell to them again even if it was an accident. on the other hand, if one of the people had my platy for a pretty long time, i would encourage them to buy more lol

Oh wow.. I await birth for days and spend hours staring as they drop and fish them out before they're eaten, then have 10g nursery tank, then 20g juvie tank... :)

How much do you sell for?

Here at Petsmart/Petco, platies are $1.25 ish and mollies are $1.99-2.99

platies are around 2.50 in nyc so i sell em at a dollar or 2 if its a cool looking one like a swordtail mix cuz swordtails r 4 bucks here. i always keep a few but there's always too much for me to take care of so i always wound up selling at least 10 everytime my platy is pregnant. usually make about 50 bucks a month cuz i have 6 female platies and 1 male swordtail, which is a lot for a high schooler like me lol

I'm hoping my females drop soon but they are being stubborn. I have an agreement with my lfs to get $2.00 credit for each juvie so I'll let that build up for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom