When you find a dead fish in your tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
How big of a water change should you do - 50%... 100%?

Does it depend on how long you think the dead fish has been in there (ie longer dead in the tank bigger the PWC)?

Does a dead fish secrete ammonia? If so shouldnt the bio filter take care of that? (ie is the PWC even necessary )

Thanks.

I do 50% pwc two days in a row, unless I see it necessary to continue longer...I think it would also depend on cause of death...

If it died due to an attack or stress for other fish and just got weak I just do a 50% I also test water. Like the other poster stated I I think it was a sickness I'll do more.

It really depends what it died of. A water change is always a good idea 'just in case'. Doing a test to check your parameters is a good idea to rule out high levels. Check the fish for signs of disease and checking your other fish as well. Sometimes they just die for no obvious reason.

I agree, it depends on what caused the death. A dead fish in the tank will put off some ammonia as it breaks down but it's probably not enough to crash a tank or anything unless it's a big fish or a small volume of water.

So depending on cause of death it may make sense to do more

In my case today i found a neon wedged between my angels plus sponge and the side of my tank. That sponge is practically glued to side of tank with the in/outside magnets. Think be ran in there after being startled and just could not get out and I found him too late. Now the neon school only has 5 :( the really crazy thing is that I found 2 more wedged In there as well today... But I freed them within a few seconds. The filter is now sitting in the center of the tank needless to say as these neons are proving to frighten very easily.

What is your levels of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? How big is the tank? Neons have small bioloads, they won't make much of a dent in the ammonia.

If everything checks out, I suspect the angels have hit puberty. They're starting to show their adult aggressiveness and are herding neons, stressing them out and killing them.

bruinsbro1997 said:
What is your levels of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? How big is the tank? Neons have small bioloads, they won't make much of a dent in the ammonia.

If everything checks out, I suspect the angels have hit puberty. They're starting to show their adult aggressiveness and are herding neons, stressing them out and killing them.

Woops let me clarify.... I don't have angel fish, but rather an angelsPlus sponge filter...and the neons got stuck in between it and the tank wall. Sucks to lose one but issue solved now as I put the sponge filter in the middle of the tank with no magnet - its a bit unsightly but at least it can't hurt anyone :).

Current tank is 5 gallons but just bought a 26g today which I'm now setting up for a fish xfer after it cycles.

Back
Top Bottom