Where go the neutralized metals from tap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ae123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wondering what becomes of the things the tap water conditioner neutralizes--metals, chlor/chloramine, ammonia??

Do they rest at the bottom, to be removed at vacuumimg time?

Ammonia detoxifiers usually simply bind ammonia into a harmless form until it can be taken care of by your bacteria. Heavy metals would again be bound, and probably precipitate out of solution. Chlorine is usually removed by sodium thiosulfate or a similar product, forming NaCl(table salt) and a harmless byproduct.

--Adeeb

precipitate?

Hey thanks adeeb.

I come back to see if anyone posted on my threads & you had answered to each one. Thanks.

So anyway, regarding the metals in tap water, you said they "precipitate out of solution". What does that mean?

I looked up precipitate & read several definitions. Still don't get it.

ae123

Hey thanks adeeb.

So anyway, regarding the metals in tap water, you said they "precipitate out of solution". What does that mean?

I looked up precipitate & read several definitions. Still don't get it.

ae123

It means that they are no longer "dissolved" in the water and then either drops to the bottom or stays suspended in the water if the current is strong enough.

Think in terms of sugar in hot water, at first the sugar dissolves (goes in solution), but if you either keep adding more sugar, or lower the water's temp, basically the water can no longer hold the sugar in solution and the sugar "precipitates" out of the water and can settle to the bottom much like sand would.

OK, I get it sort of. You guys are very smart.

You must not have been asleep in biology & chemistry in high school like I was. I have no idea how I got a C in those classes, as little as I put into them.

I always preferred English & gym class, almost exclusively, so I am perhaps not as well rounded as I could be. But I can definitely punctuate, at least, fairly effectively. And I can out-elipse just about everybody at the gym.

Ahh high school chemistry was a blast, though I'm forgetting everything >_<

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom