Where is best level to add power head/wave maker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a powerhead/wave maker to add water circulation to my tank. (I dont have an air pump)
Where is the powerhead best situated on tank? I was thinking closer to bottom of tank, but facing slightly towards the top. So I pushes bottom water to surface.
Is there any best method to this?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is there another device that will be moving water such as a canister or HOB filter in the tank? I'd observe the flow produced by that first and determine where the dead spots are. Then direct the flow of the powerhead to increase flow in the dead spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will have an eheim canister filter too.
Good point about dead spot. Thank you.

Look along the substrate, see any accumulated poo piles? Any dead spots will usually result in this..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you very much.
I wasn't sure if it needed to be up high near surface to create water agitation for best results or if there was other ways.

Thank you very much.
I wasn't sure if it needed to be up high near surface to create water agitation for best results or if there was other ways.

It's all relative..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't have enough fish to generate any appreciable poo piles :(
I do have a lot of debris and MTS poo but these always seem to fall between the grains of the EcoComplete substrate. It's like having carpet; it hides stuff.
One can have a lot of flow and still have dead spots. I know first hand.
What would be cool is a spray bar running the length of the tank placed along the bottom against the back with the jets pointing towards the front. It would eliminate dead spots at the rear most and bottom parts of the tank. Hopefully the filter/filters would provide circulation the remove the waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom