which fish to choose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pisceanbliss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking to restart a simple 10 gallon tank for a homeschooling project with my children. We had started with goldfish - thinking it would be easy but now realize the complexity of truly raising goldfish and the conditions they need - much larger than I can currently provide.

I would like variety in the tank - colors, shapes, top and bottom feeders but am seeking a 'recipe' on what an ideal set up would be.

Insight??

Availabilty is limited in my area as we are about 2 hours from the nearest substantial sized town so common fish would be a must.

I had a tank with mollies in the past but they quickly overpopulated as they kept having babies - I like them though.

zebra danios are entertaining, fast fish. I bought 2 to cycle with, and then liked them so I got 3 more so far. cory cats are good bottom feeders, if you can find pygmy cories you could keep 5 or so. There are many different varieties of tetras to choose from also. I'm sure there will be plenty of other suggestions also.

I would agree with the cories, and perhaps 6 Serpae tetras, they are a nice red colour and like to wander to all levels of the tank. a 10 Gal limits your options, but you can still make it a nice home, try adding a couple plants aswell, anubias are nice and hardy low light plants as are Java Ferns. Head and Tailight tetras are nice, but tend to hide a lot with brighter lighting.... Glowlight tetras are nice aswell, esp. with a black background on the tank, it let's thier olive colour show well :D

Tetras like more acidic water and most prefer a ph of 7.0 or lower. Black skirt tetras tolerate higher ph. Have your lfs test your tap water and buy a good test kit. Livebearers like platies and swordtails are easy to keep but one male and one female quickly becomes roughly 1 billion fish. You could get two females though.

Is there any reason for the 10gal? Space? Complexity? Budget?

If you have the means, I would suggest investing in a 20gal (maybe a 20 tall so the 10gal hood will still fit on top-if you have the hood already)
That would allow you with more options and the means for more of a variety of fish.

But with a 10gal you could have a few cories and maybe a school of tetras.

Tetras like more acidic water and most prefer a ph of 7.0 or lower. Black skirt tetras tolerate higher ph. Have your lfs test your tap water and buy a good test kit.

I keep Congo, Cochu Blue, Serpae, Head&Tail light, Glow light, Neons, Xray(Pristella), Black Skirt and Diamonds in a PH of 7.4, all of which are doing really well and all are tetras.

Livebearers can become a problem in any tank, Keeping 2 male swords 1 will tend to get agressive, besides I like tetras :p:D

I replaced my daughters 10Gal with a 16 Gal for 25$ CAD, (down there it's about 16$) and a worthy investment for the extra space..

lyquidphyre said:
Is there any reason for the 10gal? Space? Complexity? Budget?

If you have the means, I would suggest investing in a 20gal (maybe a 20 tall so the 10gal hood will still fit on top-if you have the hood already)
That would allow you with more options and the means for more of a variety of fish.
I agree. I'm living in a dorm right now a 10 gallon is about all I could afford space for. We can have up to a 25 gallon in the room, but the 10 is currently taking up a little more than half my desk, I'd have to sit on the floor with my computer to get anything bigger. Cmon apartment....

Back
Top Bottom