White bits on the surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LLG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Suddenly some bits of white stuff appeared on the water surface in my aquarium. They look and feel (when I crush them) exactly like Perlite, those white bits they put into houseplant potting soil. They are mostly in the corners or around the glass but there are a few floating freely.

Ideas? Thanks.

It's standard commercial fish tank gravel with a thick layer of sand. I have very hard water but can that really be the reason? They appeared so quickly, too.

If you use commercial tank gravel then it might be the "coating" that they put on the gravel: it is a type of paint. I do not think that it will hurt anything, but I would get it out the best that I could.

I had no idea the gravel was coated with anything! I did rinse it well before using it but never thought there would be anything to rinse off except dust. What is the reason for a coating?

The coating keeps the gravel looking clean, so there are no pores in the gravel for algae to cling to. I usually go to places like Lowes or Home Depot and purchase natural, untreated gravel because it:
1: is cheaper
2: has pores that natural bacteria can breed in
3: gives plant roots something to cling to

It is kind of hard sometimes to find the right size natural gravel at a hardware store garden center, but every now and then I get lucky. I usually look for gravel bags with 2-5 millimeter pebbles. Now, there are companies that make "natural" aquarium gravel, but it is expensive.

Back
Top Bottom