White fuzzy stuff on driftwood???!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 29 gallon tank that is cycled and I'm getting ready to put fish in it!! I was wondering what type of fish with help get rid of this white fuzzy stuff that grew on my new piece of driftwood. I have a bn pleco that I'm rehoming from my ten gallon already and I was thinking about some oto cats and maybe a few shrimp. Let me know what you guys think! Help would be much appreciated!!!

it will go ahead after some time. this is normal for new driftwood. in my experience, nothing will eat it. if it's bothering you, you can take the driftwood out and apply some peroxide on it. but most of the time it will come right back. i will just be patient with it. IME it will take about 2-3months for it to go away

I don't know what it is, I had the same problem. I removed the wood and soaked in hot sink water for about 5 days. I have it weighed down with a brick too. Changing it twice a day, when I added to the tank it was gone.

I know that some fish will nibble at it, but not really enough to make it completely go away. Plus, it will go away on its own, so really no need to get fish just to eat it.

White, Fuzzy Stuff

I have a 29 gallon tank that is cycled and I'm getting ready to put fish in it!! I was wondering what type of fish with help get rid of this white fuzzy stuff that grew on my new piece of driftwood. I have a bn pleco that I'm rehoming from my ten gallon already and I was thinking about some oto cats and maybe a few shrimp. Let me know what you guys think! Help would be much appreciated!!!

Hello km...

This is a common fungus. Ramshorn snails will remove it, just takes time depending on how many snails you have.

The fungus grows where uneaten food falls into the cracks in the driftwood, but the food will dissolve in the tank water and you can remove it with large, frequent water changes. I like to change out half the water in my tanks about every week or two. The water changes will maintain stable water properties and the fungus will disappear after a while.

Nothing to be concerned about.

B

I had the same issue with a piece of driftwood. The ramshorn snails were eating it.. very slowly. So I took it out and removed all the fungus with an old toothbrush. It started to grow back slightly for a few days, but then promptly disappeared. I'm not sure if the snails were able to keep it under control, or if it just died and went away on its own.

he meant otos will clean up the fungus you have on the driftwood. they also do a heck of a job in cleaning up other algae in the tank

Back
Top Bottom