White sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will be getting a 36 gallon bow front for Christmas, and I was thinking about having white sand with a black background on the sides and back. What are yalls thoughts? Or would black sand look better?

Thats what i have in my 29 gal brackish and its hard to keep clean. Once a week i sift it through a net to clean up poop and other debris and you will get algae or diatoms but once you take control of the problems it looks pretty good.

Attachments

• image-3840503325.jpg
    image-3840503325.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 370
If you are doing colorful fish, do black sand.

I would do black sand, but larger particles or it looks like dirt. Anyways, if it will be up against a wall, what color is the wall?

I would not do on the sides, I don't see the point. It just limits viewing and what the fish see.

I also don't ever use background, because my tanks are up against lighy blue walls, and the distortion from the water makes a PERFECT background, sort of green blue.

Just IMO!

Keep us updated with pics and stuff. Need any help, PM me.

:)

QP

I have sand in my cichlid tank. Just stir it up real good before starting the suction on the siphon. Then, simply hover over the sand and it looks as good as new when done.

Practice makes perfect....

Almost ;)

QP

The fish will be very colorful. German rams, cardinal tetras, etc. I like how the black sand brings out the colors but the white sand looks more natural. I got the idea from the Dallas world aquarium

If you plant the tank, black sand looks awesome.

Well, I would do black sand anyway with very vibrant plants or decorations.

The final choice is yours, but I have never tried white sand. Who knows? Might be better!

Back
Top Bottom