Who else still likes undergravel filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin Ron

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Undergravel people unite! I know a lot of Aquarium keepers hate them but I’ve kept them for decades (early 80’s) and never had a single issue with them.

My son wants to build a small fish room to try our hand at breeding a few things and they would be a cheap and easy way of getting it going. I don’t do sponge filters and I like a little gravel in my tanks so I think we’re going to go for it.

Anyone else still a fan? Got any pics?

Thanks in advance.

-Ron

I have had an undergravel filter in a 90 gallon tank for 30 years. Frankly, I have learned to dislike it. It can generate a smell if the tank isn't thoroughly cleaned, but worse, if the pump goes out while you are away, the entire tank turns into a mess of bacteria and sludge. Happened to me twice. When it works it's great, but awful when it doesn't.

Idk, most fish rooms I’ve seen are more sponge filters. I guess if air powered could be pretty cheap to run.

30 years? Wow! I could imagine that you’d have an odor issue after that long with a failure.

I don’t think I’ve ever left a tank set up for more than 2 - 3 years before I tear it down and do something different.

I also think setting them up properly makes a big difference. Fine sand won’t work because it clogs and gravel that is really coarse will let the gunk through and allow it to collect under the filter plate.

I used to use a medium grain blasting sand which worked out great. If you only run a couple inches of substrate then only the first half inch or so gets any real detritus in it and that can be easily vacuumed away. A couple inches or so let’s it flow well and allows a good bacterial colony to become established.

Running an air stone with a valve to adjust the flow works good too. I tried power heads once or twice but I think they sucked the gunk down into the gravel too much.

Just my experience of course...

Actually, the odor arises after a couple of weeks if I don't clean the gravel thoroughly. If the pump quits, it's god-awful what happens to the tank - like a sewage spill. I've had the tank 30 years but I take it down and redo it every 4-5 years.

Back
Top Bottom