Why are my GBR so shy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meese-a-mew

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 5 of them in my 25g tank and they always hide in my plants or behind my driftwood. Why is this?
I've had them for 3 months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is it heavily planted? What else is in the tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's pretty heavily planted.
-5 GBR
-9 Neon tetras

Hmm, my wild caught rams are pretty hidey, they really only come out for food, maybe yours are wold caught? My old gbr would always be out front dancing at the glass

Yah they are wild caught. Is there any way to make them come out?

I don't know.. I've had mine for about 5 months and they've grown a but more adventurous but not as much as I'd like..

Same lol hopefully they get better because I kinda bought them to see them :p

Same lol hopefully they get better because I kinda bought them to see them :p

Yah.. boy it's a treat when we do though huh?

Yup lol. Such nice fish

Wild caught GBRs are very shy unless there are dither fish in the tank. A good dither fish is one that is a prey-type fish that is active and playful out in the open when there are no threats. Neons sadly are very reclusive (at least in my experience), making them pretty bad at this role. The GBRs are looking at the Neons, seeing them be hesitant & skittish, and therefore think there's something to be scared of.

Better fish for the role that fit your tank would be Rasboras, smaller Rainbowfish (Threadfins are my favorite), Guppies, Cherry Barbs, etc. These fish are fairly confident and active, which will signal to the GBRs that it's safe to come out. It's kind of like a "Hey, if those guys are out there being that dumb and not being eaten, it must be safe for me!" type thing.

Btw, are you trying to let the Rams pair up? 25g is perfect for an adult pair, but you may have territorial spats in such a small tank if you keep all 5 till adulthood. If you're planning on dropping back to the pair, you have plenty of room to add a school of small dither fish.

Back
Top Bottom